AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The market for 1080i and 720p display matures in 10 years from now. What's beyond that, anything in our scope?

I don't think that higher resolutions appealing to home users, so the industry must come up with some thing fancy. Is it 3D HD?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Before that question is even answered, you have to ask, when will HD be the default?

Remember, for the vast majority of consumers and for the majority of broadcast programming, SD is still the norm.

HD as a default is so far off that speculation in the next thing is impossible. I will throw out a guess that i will not see a higher broadcast format in my lifetime. (i am 38) And this includes anything higher than 1080i or 720P

·
Registered
27,208 Posts
Who cares??? Let's just get 1080P in the next year!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman
Before that question is even answered, you have to ask, when will HD be the default?

Remember, for the vast majority of consumers and for the majority of broadcast programming, SD is still the norm.

HD as a default is so far off that speculation in the next thing is impossible. I will throw out a guess that i will not see a higher broadcast format in my lifetime. (i am 38) And this includes anything higher than 1080i or 720P

Nah, we've seen TV from black/white to color, and from analog to digital in the matter of 30-40 years, the next big thing is not too far away.

But what is it?

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
...or else... a window! ;)

Have Fun!

MarkF

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Back in the early 70's, a Hardy boys book (remember those?) described a mist that was able to show 3D images, much like a holograph.

Now that would be fun!

:)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It is a dangerous exercise to predict the future. I will put aside my own advice though :( The way technology is going in Video Display.. I do not see 1080P as the limit. 10 years from now >2000/60 P will be all over Circuit City...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrantzM
It is a dangerous exercise to predict the future. I will put aside my own advice though :( The way technology is going in Video Display.. I do not see 1080P as the limit. 10 years from now >2000/60 P will be all over Circuit City...
In a form that has no burn-in issues, 100% reliability, and inexpensive easy to swap parts. Yet the stores will still push the extended warranty like their's no tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi, Curt!

Believe it or not, a couple of companies have built these! Check out FogScreen and IO2Technology (whoops - it looks like IO2's temporarily unavailable). I wonder if they got their idea from the Hardy Boys?

Have Fun!

MarkF

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The source material is likely to be 1080p at most for a good while, at least that most of us can get ahold of. But, as now, that doesn't mean that displays can't continue to increase in resolution beyond the source material, and we scale the 1080p up to meet that resolution.

I assume that some eye candy material will always be available that matches the actual growing display resolution, for more flexible devices like computers that aren't designed for a given limited set of resolutions. But I'm thinking that, given the bulk of the general public won't even get up to 1080 for probably another 5 years or more, there won't be a lot of money to be made providing movies in a format beyond that for a while.

Not that I'm complaining. If I had a high quality 1080p digital projector and all digtal display path with good 1080 deinterlacer, and a blu-ray player, I'd be a happy camper for a while.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Mark

This technology is the future: I just went on the Fogscreen web site and this is really imprressive stuff.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlueFlames
The market for 1080i and 720p display matures in 10 years from now. What's beyond that, anything in our scope?
4K standard on Holographic Video Disc. What goes into a theater must eventually come into a home. That's about 10MP, so about 4-5 times HDTV resolution, but that would only really be noticeable on a front projection system. That's the optimistic view.
Quote:

I don't think that higher resolutions appealing to home users, so the industry must come up with some thing fancy. Is it 3D HD?
There's been talk of it. Still, as Jeff implied, at the rate we're getting to full penetration of 1080i, our great great grandchildrent will be lucky to see 24/7 1080i programming let alone anything more than that. Of course, that's the pessimistic view.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I actually predict the opposite. Within 10-20 years the high enders will go on a rampage, destroying all electronics manufacturing facilities due to being royally ticked off that the customers are constantly the Beta testers of new products. Heck, in 20 years vaporware will be flying off the shelves, and within the year, the consumers of BB and CC product will understand that they have been constant victims of the 'Emperor's NEw Clothes'.

All electronics manufacturing will have to be designed from the ground up, and deep in a bunker somewhere, Ob will be laughing and laughing as he uses big B batteries to fire up his tube equipment.

:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
4K at 400K:)

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Dizzman, at the rate DLP is going, it's almost impossible to imagine that a 4K DLP projector for the home won't exist within 10 years.

8-9 years ago - 480x640

6-7 years ago - 600x800

4-5 years ago - 768x1024

2-3 years ago - 960x1280 & 720x1280

0-1 year ago - 1050x1400 & 720x1280

1-2 years from now - 1200x1600 & 1080x1920 ($20K)

3-4 years from now - 1440x1920 & 1080x1920 ($10K)

5-6 years from now - 1600x2560 & 1080x1920 ($5K)

7-8 years from now - 1920x3072 & 1080x1920 ($2500)

9-10 years from now - 2400x3200 & 2160x3840 (because who wants to sell flagship 1-chip HT projectors for

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
the investment for the broadcast world to this point is in the tens of billions of dollars to get to a point where we are at minimal penetration in the marketplace.

Are you trying to equate the development of the DLP projector with the advances in TV technology? In the last 20 years we have gone from the intro of HD to a small penetration. TO go higher has virtually no benefit to anyone other than the geeks who want to prove something.

Why to use your logic, since computer chips have advanced so far, we should all have flying cars in the next two weeks n'est pas?

There was a huge benefit going from NTSC to HD, going higher is way into the realm of severely diminishing returns. THe capital investment does not justify it. go to NAB, take a look around and start doing some addition.

We are a LONGGGGGGG way from any need to look for something better.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
something that is neat and quirky like 3-d... that will be in the specialty realm of course.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Besides, i can comfortably say that when you compare TRUE, GOOD HD properly displayed to the crap most people see. It alone is almost like an HD-SD comparison

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.