AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new construction home about 6 months ago and one of the advertised pieces was that it had high tech cabling. I thought "great, I have no need for it now, but nice to know its there". Well, now I've started getting more into AV stuff and yesterday I popped open the panel and saw 6 rg6 cables and 6 phone lines. I was thinking, where are the cat 5 lines?

Does this constitute high tech cabling? I'm wondering if this is something that was missed, or if this in fact does meet the basic definition of high tech cabling. If it doesnt meet that definition at all, then its obviously false advertising and Im going to talk to the builder(perhaps it was an oversight).

·
Banned
2,646 Posts
For the past 15 years, condo developers have been advertising "high speed comminications cable" installed in every condo. What that actually means, is that they install Cable tv and telephone lines....as they've been doing for the past 50 years.

It's meaningless marketing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Targus, thanks for the response. That bites! I noticed there was a power outlet in the box, so I was hoping that it was just missed(I'm not sure why an outlet would be needed with only phone lines and rg6, doubt a signal amplifier would do anything). I guess its a lesson learned a little too late....

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Our builder had the same. They claimed "future-proof" wiring. All this meant was that they used cat5e for two telephone locations and single RG6 to two locations, both home run to a central location. They did have various wiring options; however, they didn't list them with their regular options; I had to ask and speak with the electrical contractor.

In the end, I got what I wanted, but I had to spend a good chunk above the base price. And the construction foreman told me that no one else in the neighborhood put in what I did. Which surprised me as it wasn't exactly elaborate (telephone; satellite and ota distribution from one location; conduit from basement wiring location to attic; I did network myself, later).

I suppose the problem is that there is no standard definition of "high tech cabling."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow, yah that certainly wouldn't meet my expectations for high-tech wiring.

Aren't there any sanctioning/standards bodies out there that set minimum requirements needed for certain wiring designations/monikers?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think some builders think that Cat3 wire is high tech - especially if it is home run back to a distribution panel.

[sarcasm on]

With that type of set up you should be able to do anything....right?

[sarcasm off]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.