AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a copy of Ben Hur since it's DVD release but just hadn't gotten around to watching it untill the weekend. Wow! still an epic movie in every sense. This is also the first time I've seen it in widescreen. With a 2:66 ratio, more than 1/2 the picture was lost in 4:3 conversion. This one still pushes all the right buttons. Chuck's acting is a little over the top some times but the movies emotional impact on a whole is certainly there. Beautifully restored print, I noticed the colour hues fluctuate a little due to the frame by frame restoration but a minor complaint at best. I noticed the same thing with Sound of Music. If you haven't seen this one yet, pick up a copy. The chariot race alone is worth the price of admission. Easter just seems like the right time to watch this one!

Brad

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Boy & His Ampro
I have had a copy of Ben Hur since it's DVD release but just hadn't gotten around to watching it untill the weekend. Wow! still an epic movie in every sense. This is also the first time I've seen it in widescreen. With a 2:66 ratio, more than 1/2 the picture was lost in 4:3 conversion. This one still pushes all the right buttons. Chuck's acting is a little over the top some times but the movies emotional impact on a whole is certainly there. Beautifully restored print, I noticed the colour hues fluctuate a little due to the frame by frame restoration but a minor complaint at best. I noticed the same thing with Sound of Music. If you haven't seen this one yet, pick up a copy. The chariot race alone is worth the price of admission. Easter just seems like the right time to watch this one!

Brad
Get the new DVD of KING OF KINGS (Jeffrey Hunter, 1961). Some of the same cast and sets as BEN-HUR. Definitely appropriate for Easter. Gorgeous Technicolor print, in 70 mm Super-Technirama or whatever. Plus, it's perhaps the best "Jesus" movie out there, and I've seen most of them. 3 hours, too.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Just watched Ben Hur for the first time last week! I'm part of the younger generation that typically avoids the classics, but this movie has changed my mind.....I will work a classic into the lineup more often!!!

And yes, a great Easter movie!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tony123
Just watched Ben Hur for the first time last week! I'm part of the younger generation that typically avoids the classics, but this movie has changed my mind.....I will work a classic into the lineup more often!!!

And yes, a great Easter movie!
Let's give this guy some help:

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

CASABLANCA

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
Dr. Zhivago

Ten Commendments (I actually sat through the whole thing in one sitting)
I commend you for that. :)

My wife and I, though the color was great, were hardly able to contain ourselves at some of the corniness of The Ten Commandments, as well as the travesty DeMille made of the Biblical text. Entertaining, but gauche.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
Plus, it's perhaps the best "Jesus" movie out there, and I've seen most of them. 3 hours, too.
I must respectfully disagree.

The BEST Jesus movie, IMO, has to be JESUS OF NAZARETH.

No other "Jesus" movie captures the "man" in Jesus more faithfully than this. Also, Robert Powell has facial features VERY SIMILAR to those on statues and paintings of Jesus. I doubt that the story of Jesus can be told any better.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
I commend you for that. :)

My wife and I, though the color was great, were hardly able to contain ourselves at some of the corniness of The Ten Commandments, as well as the travesty DeMille made of the Biblical text. Entertaining, but gauche.

The movie was actually quite entertaining at some points, and the acting was more stage like than the usual film acting. But I have to agree with you, watching Ten commendments is probably a once per 5 or 6 year thing, I'm not touching that DVD again till 2008 :)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpedris
I must respectfully disagree.

The BEST Jesus movie, IMO, has to be JESUS OF NAZARETH.

No other "Jesus" movie captures the "man" in Jesus more faithfully than this. Also, Robert Powell has facial features VERY SIMILAR to those on statues and paintings of Jesus. I doubt that the story of Jesus can be told any better.
That is a good one. However, Robert Powell's emaciated, slow-speaking, staring-into-space Jesus reminded me too much of a certain speed freak (I don't mean someone who drove his car fast, either!) from high schoo, and that's what always strikes me about Robert Powell's Jesus -- he looks/acts WASTED, man!!!

Plus, Zeffirelli does a couple totally weird things. E.g., he has Nicodemus meeting with Jesus IN THE DAYTIME, as I recall, and John 3 is specific that the two had their conversation at night.

The following (as well as the above) are my opinions, of course, of the Jesus movies I have:

In many ways, the claymation THE MIRACLE MAKER is one of the best Jesus films made, in terms of being relatively faithful to the texts and in its portrayal of Jesus. And, it looks fabulous on a widescreen TV.

Pasolini's Gospel According to Saint Matthew is okay, and has some very good moments, but parts of it -- like the Sermon on the Mount speech -- don't come off well, in my opinion.

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD is a great soporific -- if you want to fall asleep in a hurry, this movie will do it for you, though the sets and scenery are beautiful, and Charleton Heston's John the Baptist is good.

That TV JESUS movie with Jeremy Sisto(?) was a travesty. Jesus had to ask his mother what his mission was all about, and he died "for love," he concluded. Close to blasphemy.

JESUS CHRIST, SUPERSTAR (both versions) have things in them to commend them, as well as things to criticize. Worth seeing, I believe.

The Campus Crusade for Christ JESUS movie with Brian Deacon is faithful to the Gospel of Luke, and it's being used around the world in dozens of languages as an evangelistic tool, but I find it rather boring.

The Visual Bible MATTHEW is a word-for-word complete NIV-version of Matthew, and it's good in many ways, but I can't get used to Bruce Marchiano's joyful Jesus. Plus, him being shorter than all the others is a distraction to me. The scene where he embraces Judas at the last supper and weeps does not, to me, properly pictorialize how it would have been.

In fact, the other day, I sat down and watched the last supper scenes of several of these films. JESUS OF NAZARETH and KING OF KINGS were, in my opinion, the best of the lot.

I have a "scenes of Jesus's life" movie that is atrocious. The acting is awful, and the sets and costumes are cheap.

Having watched KING OF KINGS twice now, I still think it's the best, and moves at the best pace, too. The subplots involving Pilate's wife and John the Baptist and Salome and Judas and the centurion add to the story in good ways, I think, and make it more an adventure tale than a straightforward episode-by-episode retelling of the Gospels. In comparison, I think JESUS OF NAZARETH drags. But I'm glad I have JoN, although it looks like the DVD was mastered from a VHS copy -- probably the worst full-price DVD I have in my collection. Someday, someone should restore the film, clean up the scratches, and release a decent DVD.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Thanks guys. Will add a few of these to my list. Although, I have seen Casablanca and found it average at best. Thanks for the leads on the others!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.