AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently using Emby( media Browser) / DLNA to stream from video files on a Netgear ReadyNas over the home WLAN. I am looking for something that has nicer looking UI, I 'm not satisfied with the Emby software Over DLNA. (maybe the Emby App for Roku is better?)

Have also just come across the Dune Streaming Media Player and was thinking about maybe trying one out. (Thoughts?) I have over 800+ movie video files.

What is good? What is everyone using? Thanks,

·
Registered
693 Posts
We use Roku with Plex Media Server, Tablo DVR, Vudu and a variety of streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, DramaFever, Funimation, Pandora, Spotify and Amazon Music. Roku is an incredibly versatile platform, but keep in mind that it does not currently support lossless audio and Plex caps out at around 20mbps.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mezzmo DLNA media server to a couple of Kodi locations (Chrome box and RaspPi) and through my Dish Network Hopper and Joeys. Not all of the metadata is supported by all of the boxes but art, plot, genres, time, etc. all come through. I could use the Kodi library setups with Media Shares from the server but the common library between all devices is awesome for the family acceptance factor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe that the Dune D1 at the least will do truehd and Dts-HD.
http://www.amazon.com/Dune-HD-Smart-D1-Player/dp/B004CS4A3O
I currently use SageTV with (1) HD300 and (2) HD200 extenders for my media streaming from a Windows 7 Media Server using Flexraid for 17 TB of storage. I also use a Dune D1 for bluray streaming in my theater room and it does support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. I also use (2) Xbox 360 for TV through a Ceton Infintv 4 tuner card.

I still prefer to use SageTV for most of my media streaming since I can organize our many tv shows that are on dvd by disc instead of by episode using dvdprofiler. It helps with my wife being able to start watching a disc of Friends and it uses the DVD menu so she can just hit play all.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
after researching i think i'm leaning towards a Dune Base 3D media player but the site says they are backordered

what is the difference between the D1 and the Dune Base 3D?
I know the D1 does full BD menus - I don't think the Base3D does.

The D1 does not do 3D.

I have nine D1s (some installed, some to be installed, some as backups).

I have been perfectly satisfied with them.

One thing the Dune's can do (at least the D1) is present the user with a very simple interface. I have mine set to just show the selection of movies available and nothing more. You simply select one and hit play.

I have played with XMBC/KODI but so far cannot get it to the point where the WAF will be high enough - the UI remains too complex. I know that custom skins can be done but that is currently not an option - simply too busy to figure it out.

And BD menus are still a work in progress.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts