AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this question here because of the activity on this thread and because a lot of you have the same or similar setup I do.

For video, I have a Panasonic RV80 feeding a Boxlight 38T (Sanyo XP21N clone) through a Quadscan elite.

The first problem encountered was with anamorphic DVDs. I noticed a lot of vertical panning artifacts and poor resolutuion when I set the DVD player to 4:3 output, matching my projector and screen. The image was properly proportioned and displayed, it was simply not very good.

Joe House remembered seeing the same thing and suggested setting the RV80 to 16:9. It worked like a champ--all the artifacts were gone and the picture was incredibly sharp and detail. But it emerged from the Quadscan in elongated shape. I found I could not correct this with any Quadscan settings and instead had to set up a custom aspect ratio at the projector.

With Toy Story II, a native 4:3 disk, I found that I would get a proper output at the projector with no other changes simply by switching the projector back to the standard XGA1 configuration.

Now, I put in Horse Whisperer, a widescreen letterboxed movie. The image I got was squashed both horizontally and vertically, more so the latter. Again, it seemed I couldn't get a proper image no matter how I set the RV80 and Quadscan. I had to set another custom aspect ratio configuration at the projector.

This last experience really puzzles me. Does anyone here understand what is going on and how to deal with it? I don't want to get in to a situation where I have to have all these custom settings at the projector but I don't seem to be able to get the RV80/Quadscan combo to put out an image that will be correct when the projector is set to XGA1, unless the input disk is native 4:3.

Is the RV80 remembering the previous setting and not changing when I change it in the setup menu?

All help appreciated!

Dan Houck

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Bump!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surely someone can offer suggestions!

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
You are making my brain hurt. Do you have a cell phone with Long distance free? You call me and I'll go through every darn setting I have and we can do a NASA-type check list.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's an idea about the bad picture in anamorphic.

To display an anamophic DVD at 4:3 the DVD player has to resample each field, to compensate for the anamorphic distortion.

So in the setup you have the DVD was resampling, the quadscan was resampling and depending on your display, it was resampling. Reducing picture quality at each step.

You should try to always view anamophic disks at 16:9.

I think the rest of your problems stem from general confusion about the anamorphic settings on your equipment.

Which lets face it is a problem for all of us from time to time.

Matthew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.