AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PS - It's a slow day at work, my manager is having lasik...

If you are like me, you probably visit only a couple of forums on a regular basis. So, I've put this summary report together to let the $5000+ digital projector folks know what happening elsewhere in AVS land:
  • CRT Projectors: Mike Parker has modified a Raedon Video card for CRT projectors - very technical. A newbie asks what the easiest CRT to converge (gee, they still have to do that, don't they...). Not much else of interest... kinda tired, not unlike the format.
  • Digital projectors - under $5000: Tons of threads on the cheap Sony LCD projector. A real interesting thread on "Why would anyone want a projector that can't show DVDs?"
  • Ultra High End Gear Art S and Co defending CRT black levels again - are we surprised or what? . . . but ya gotta love these guys!
  • Plasma: Here's a thread - "Did you buy TOO BIG of a plasma screen?" LOL, that's like JHouse and JimmyR wondering if their setup is too bright!
  • Rear projection: Generally, most folks are wondering why there are halos around all objects and why everyone looks like they have a sunburn.
  • Direct CRT: Very price conscious folks here . . .

:D :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
there are other forums?

:)

bob

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Display Devices.

I visit the audio forum frequently. I thought the video techno-babble was difficult at times (well, quite a lot of times). Audio is incomprehensible most of the time. :D

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Sick and tired of hearing my, BB's and JHouse's HiPower/HD20 combination is "too bright".

If I hear it one more time the violator will be tied to a chair in my HT and forced to watch Olympic ice skating nonstop until August .

There will be no exception's

·
Registered
813 Posts
Great post, you should make it a weekly occurrence. :D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Quote:
If I hear it one more time the violator will be tied to a chair in my HT and forced to watch Olympic ice skating nonstop until August
Jimmy's future is so bright, he's just got to wear shades!

:D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyR
If I hear it one more time the violator will be tied to a chair in my HT and forced to watch Olympic ice skating nonstop ...
But ice skating is soooo goooood and bright too on a Hi-Power :D

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Display Devices.

I visit the audio forum frequently. I thought the video techno-babble was difficult at times (well, quite a lot of times). Audio is incomprehensible most of the time. :D
Nothing is worse than Audio techno-babble.

If they're not using descriptions like "more air" and "more spaciousness" to describe their speakers, they are using terms like "dissipative Teflon dielectric" or "uranium depleted beryllium coated OFC copper" to describe their audio cables.

I love audio but your typical golden-ear audiophile deserves a good: :rolleyes:

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
well said wigggles. i find it really annoying when some people go on and on about something so subjective as audio. at least video you can see crap and just say it looks like crap. in the audio realm there seems to be a number of idiots(smart people?) who like to use their high end terms and sound like they know stuff.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Nothing reallly changes around here, so why not just hang out in the Forum Feedback forum and listen everyone *****. It's sweet :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Audiophiles have a lot in common with oeniphiles and their ridiculously long, subjective, adjective filled descriptions, like this one from a Wine Spectator award winner: ". . .distinctive combination of fruit, wet earth, game, leather and mineral flavors." I've also heard the terms "austere" and "grace" used to describe wines.

Personally I find both subjective descriptions of ultra-high end speakers and ultra-expensive wines ridiculous and humorous to read.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Although I too find it amuzing the way people will attempt to describe sonic or palette distinctions that is simply as we do not have the word in out vocabulary to explain what we mean so we mentally reach for something thats roughly applicable....

Describing senses is pretty tough...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Quote:
go on and on about something so subjective as audio
That's rich.

It must be comforting that video is such an objective "subject".

Oh there's the S-word;)

I guess we can dispense with "wet" colors, a "washed-out" image,

"3-d" pq and "perceived" CR.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.