AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically new to the ht thing. I'm looking for a new system and want to know which brands of speakers to look at? I've found some sony speakers that I like and a nice sub also by sony. is sony good? thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are a few subs I'm looking at 150W sony for $200, 250W sony for $300, 150W yamaha for $200, 250W yamaha for $300. the sony speakers that I'm looking at are 150W for $150 each and are around 3-4 ft high but I'm wondering which subs to pick (sony or yamaha.. I'll pick which one my self depending on how much money I have) and are the sony speakers good in general? thanks

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Neither Sony nor Yamaha are famous for their speakers.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I didn't say that, did I?

If they sound good to you, then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so if I get a 6.1 600W sony receiver and 2 front 150W sony speakers, 120W center speaker sony, 2 rear 100W speakers sonyand a 250W sony sub I'll be okey? that's what its looking like... sound good? any changes?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tikrapt
there are a few subs I'm looking at 150W sony for $200, 250W sony for $300, 150W yamaha for $200, 250W yamaha for $300. the sony speakers that I'm looking at are 150W for $150 each and are around 3-4 ft high but I'm wondering which subs to pick (sony or yamaha.. I'll pick which one my self depending on how much money I have) and are the sony speakers good in general? thanks

for ~200 you can get small time internet subs which will probably perform better, or a used $500 sub which will be in a different league.

the $150 each for the regular speakers...what kind are they? You need centers, surrounds, surround backs, and of course mains. I'd start at at least $200 a speaker unless you get a mini or HTIB setup. The mini-setup should be $500 new. Of course used is less. thing is the mini-systems really need a good sub.

Seth

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
 www.ascendacoustics.com

i upgraded my audio back in 2002 and spent quite a few months traveling to various stores (up to 50 miles away) to listen to as many different brands and configurations as i could- even lugging home for the weekend some different recievers and speakers (including some monsterous huge Magneplaners).

ultimately the most satisfying speakers i heard were the Ascends that i took a chance on.

they were also, amazingly, among the most inexpensive of everything i looked at.

i think the 5 speaker package and the sub came to about $1100- which is close to what you are looking at if i am not mistaken.

in the last three years i've owned several dvd players, 2 projectors, 2 recievers, 2 sets of speakers, and by far, the most satisfaction i've gotten from all this gear has been from the speakers.

everything else has had some kid of issue or another to deal with and resolve or try to ignore.

not so with the Ascends.

just pure pleasure.

audio is a very personal, subjective area, so nobody can really tell you what is the 'best' brand for you, but these are well worth going to the trouble to listen to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thanks so far guys but everyone is telling me to make sure I have 150W going to 150W speakers or more... I havn't seen a receiver yet that gives out more than 130W/channel... where do I find one or what do I do?? thanks

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tikrapt
well thanks so far guys but everyone is telling me to make sure I have 150W going to 150W speakers or more... I havn't seen a receiver yet that gives out more than 130W/channel... where do I find one or what do I do?? thanks
Everyone? You are getting very bad advice.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
tikguy:

My advice is to choose speakers based on how they sound to you and not worry about 100 vs 130 watts. This difference will make no difference in the receiver's ability to drive the speakers. It's called specmanship and you needn't be concerned with it at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
over the past week I've posted around 6 or 7 threads and read 50 or 60 responses... none has made more sense then what you just said... "don't get worried about that stuff"... thanks man

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ascend Acoustics for speakers and HSU or SVS for sub

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
the jbl "E" series sound very nice and are priced very reasonable.....

also check out the reference line from klipsch.... the RF-15 is an entry level floorstanding speaker that sounds excellent and will give you more volume per watt than most other speaker lines because it is very efficient....

cheers!

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.