AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For reasons beyond my control, I am needing to set up an indoor antennae. Today I will shortly recieve a Radio Shack 15-1892 Star Trek
antennae.

Now for my question as to the thread title. What is inside the saucer. What type of recieveing element/s are in there? Is it some type of loop, or a rotateing multi element antannae such as the Zenieth Silver Sensor?

It is my hope that there is a directional antennae on the lines of the silver sensor, or the turk hdtvi. None the less I will find out how well it works shortly. I am in the New Orleans area, on the fringe of indoor antennae reception to say the least. It is my hope that the Star Trek antennae will boost my signal just a bit over an amplified rabit ear/loop. As it stands, I recieve wwl regularly in digital, and several other stations in analogue sporadically. I actually catch both Baton Rouge and New Orleans stations, but they are only really watchable when conditions are right. It is my hope a directional antannae will help with the issue.

I have cable service, so the antannae reception is more a hobby than a neccessity. I also have the Zenieth 901 cecb and will have one version or another of the digital stream cecb later today from rat shack.

Thanks for any replies as to what is inside the saucer. I would guess that someone has had one that croaked and died, and that some one was curious enough to looki inside and see what makes it tick.

DaMountainMan

·
Registered
614 Posts
Have you considered a DIY antenna? I built one of these yesterday:

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

And can pick up close to 20 HD channels sitting against the wall of my HT room with lots of obstruction from the neighboring house. I would recommend trying it if you want better digital reception.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton /forum/post/15580946

Have you considered a DIY antenna? I built one of these yesterday:

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

And can pick up close to 20 HD channels sitting against the wall of my HT room with lots of obstruction from the neighboring house. I would recommend trying it if you want better digital reception.

I saw this thread a few minutes ago and now your post, the homemade antenna, was the first thing that came to mind! And the exact same blog regarding building one. Funny how that works.

And know clue what is inside the "saucer". But I would seriously consider building one of these antennas.

Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have considered building one of those, and may end up doing so in the end. However the wife is marching to rat shack as we speak with the $$$'s to pick up this antennae and a couple cecb converter boxes. I think I need something a little bit more directional than the home built antennae, though with the foil reflector, it would be more directional than with out. I have also thought of getting the CM 4149 as well. Both the Star Trek and the Channel Master antennae's do have the sifnificant other factor cornered. They simple look nicer LOL

DaMountainMan

PS thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
614 Posts
AFAIK the "foil one" goes into a attic mounted rotator so the directionality is somewhat moot - but that does increase apparent cost to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts