AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few and read on lddb.com that some Laserdiscs have LD-G technology. so far what i know is;

-only external ld-g decoder ever made/sold was a Pio LG-1 which has composite in and out

-LD-G can support up to 16 different subtitle options such as different languages or subs for film or commentary track.

- it is similar to Close Caption(CC) text inside a black blackground.

where I am confused is,

- I see some Japanese Laserdisc have Japanese subtitles imposed(burned on image then 1 or 2 LD-G tracks(usually english and japanese)

-same titles also have CC.

how does ld-g track look on a Japanese laserdisc with Japanese imposed subs?

thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
In technical terms, the LD+G format is an extension of the CD+G format, which uses (as I recall) the P & Q subcode blocks, blank space reserved in the Compact Disc Digital Audio bitstream, to store graphics files.

CD+G is used in freestanding CD karaoke machines to generate a background image with lyrics displayed accross it. Other than that, I'm not aware of any applications in which it occurs.

LD+G uses the same basic technology to store subtitle tracks, which can then be superimposed over the video by an decoder, either within or outside the LD player. This is similar to Closed Captioning, except that the information is encoded in the digital audio stream instead of the video signal itself, so an outboard decoder must be connected to the LD player digital output as well as its video output. As I understand it, the appearance is also similar to Closed Captioning, with a black bar overlayed on the video, with white text on the bar. Apparently the location of the bar can be adjusted, & some users have been known to use it to cover up burned-in Japanese subtitles appearing horizontally on the screen within the letterbox bars. Obviously, for subtitles appearing in the image, or vertical titles, this is no help.

·
Registered
28,705 Posts
I used to own an LD-S9, which is one of the few (Japanese) Laserdisc players with LD+G decoding built in. As Sheer Lunacy says, in practice it looks basically the same as American closed captioning. Captioning text appears in a black box on top of the picture. The few discs I had with LD+G encoded were all English-language movies with English LD+G captions.

You can use LD+G to cover up burned-in Japanese subtitles, but you're just substituting English captions on top of them. Pick your poison as far as which you find more distracting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts