AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't have an AT, so you likely have a horizontal centre speaker with the tweeter located under the screen...

...further assume that your L/R mains are bookshelves on stands.

What would be better:

a) having the bookshelves with the tweeters at the top, closest to ear level...

...but with the maximum height away from the centre channel's tweeter

(although this does have the woofers closer to being in a horizontal line)

b) having the bookshelves with the tweeters at the bottom, closet to the centre's tweeter

...creating the closet possible to straight horizontal alignment of front 3 tweeters

...but with L/R mains tweeters at chest level instead of ear level

Thoughts

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
IMO I think this probably can vary with the speakers and room in question. Some speakers are just less localizable than others. And the localizability of any speakers is going to be affected by the room; placement, treatments (or lack of treatments), etc..

I have had my particular center channel speaker well above both my TV screen (by almost 2 feet) as well as my front speakers and it was not localizable or noticeable at all. But I do not think the same would have been true for another brand/type of speakers. Not to brag or anything, but I think that KEFs, with their coincidentally arrayed drivers, are particularly good at disappearing.

I would also say that I have tried the center channel both above and below the plane of one's ears and I am a firm believer that, generally, above the plane of the ears is a better location in terms of reducing center channel localizability. Our ears are less able to discern the location when the speaker is above the plane of our ears. Less localizable and the illusion that the sound is coming from the screen is more believable.

I realize that your question was more in regards to the L/R speakers relative to the center speaker, but I would encourage you to try the center speaker above your TV, if possible. I think that you would find that a greater disparity between the L/R and center tweeter heights than your choice (a), above, even, can be better tolerated with this arrangement.

All that said, if comparing your (a) and (b) choices only involves flipping the L/R speakers over, then I would try both and see which you prefer. I would recommend, though, that if you make a switch, keeping that arrangement for an extended period of time before switching back or making a decision. Sometimes we can be too quick to interpret "different" as being either better or worse.

Also, depending upon their height and the particular speakers, flipping the speakers over, lowering and, perhaps more importantly, placing their tweeter at the bottom, may result in poorer performance. Flipping speakers over when they are located above the head makes sense because the tweeter's dispersion down into the room would probably be enhanced with most speakers. But flipping a speaker's tweeter to the bottom if they are already located low in the room will probably adversely affect the tweeter's dispersion into the room. Again, how tolerant a speaker might be to being flipped over is going to depend upon the speaker itself as well as the room.

Reactions: cschang

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback - good food for thought (that above may well be better than below).

And I've thrown this question out academically, more to learn for plans for the next upgrade rather than as relevant to my current setup (which is three KEF iQ3, so i can't really flip over as an experiment as they don't have a flat top - but I do agree, the coax point source is great).

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1467566/whats-more-important-for-front-3-same-hieght-tweeters-or-ear-height-mains#post_23185119

....................my current setup (which is three KEF iQ3, so i can't really flip over as an experiment as they don't have a flat top......
Yeah, I was wondering about this as I seemed to remember that is what you had. Even if you could flip them it wouldn't, of course, make much difference.

Consider stepping up to nicer KEFs. Back in 2004, I went from the iQ series (what Qs used to be) to my current XQs and thought the improvement was both appreciable and worth it.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim  /t/1467566/whats-more-important-for-front-3-same-hieght-tweeters-or-ear-height-mains#post_23185142

Yeah, I was wondering about this as I seemed to remember that is what you had. Even if you could flip them it wouldn't, of course, make much difference.

Consider stepping up to nicer KEFs. Back in 2004, I went from the iQ series (what Qs used to be) to my current XQs and thought the improvement was both appreciable and worth it.

The iQs are great - and I really can't get over their amazing value (especially at the sellout prices back then, $700 for a 5.0
).

I've thought about XQs as an upgrade, also thought of Tannoy Revolution Signatures...

...but I've become quite a fan of Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy's work, especially since they built the WOW1s for my specific space

So I continue explore (learn), ask (learn) - hence the question of this thread...

...an AT with three identical speakers all with tweeters at ear height is the ultimate

...reality is there will likely be compromise

...this thread is to start to understand some of the compromise options better

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1467566/whats-more-important-for-front-3-same-hieght-tweeters-or-ear-height-mains#post_23185468

The iQs are great - and I really can't get over their amazing value (especially at the sellout prices back then, $700 for a 5.0
).
Ooops, I misspoke. I meant I had the old Qs that preceded your iQs. Confusing. Q1 + Q2c. The Q1s, then, were equivalent to the iQ3s and had a 6.5" UniQ. As did my Q9c center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.