AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i've been wanting to build a htpc for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet and build one soon. What i wanna know is,what's needed, and how would i be able to stream content to another room? ie. living room?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Hello all, i've been wanting to build a htpc for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet and build one soon. What i wanna know is,what's needed, and how would i be able to stream content to another room? ie. living room?

You need a media extender to stream signal between rooms. Some use an Xbox for this.

As for the computer...there are so many variations that it is difficult to summarize here. Basically you'd use your computer to drive a monitor; TV/video signal carries the CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive you typically have in your computer and this is sent out the video card to your TV/monitor. Your computer may also have a TV tuner card for carrying TV signal to your monitor. Movies or Music can also be recorded onto your hard drive. Typical software is windows media center (WMC).

Nice but extensive tutorial is contained at this site.

Scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply

so would a 360 suffice? or would another dedicated htpc in the living room be better?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Dedicated HTPC is always better, you wont run into formats that dont work, disks that arent compatible, etc. You can build or buy a second PC for a living room so cheaply these days that its the recommended way. I am up to 3 HTPCs, with a 4th coming when I move into my new house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts