Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The buzz about the DTV1080 before it came out said it

will be the first THIRD GENERATION STB. Is this true?

If so, who else has a THIRD GENERATION STB in the works

and when is it expected to ship?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
I don't know the who or when, but I'll speculate on the what, in addition to the standard features now available.

IEEE 1394 interface w/5C

and/or

DVI interface w/HDCP

RGBHV or component video AND composite video out simultaneously

3 RF inputs, one satellite input

Selectable format via remote control (1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, and perhaps other user modified video formats)

Hard drive recording, ala PVR

And maybe to cap it off, I'm thinking it's about time RCA had something new to introduce.

Disclaimer: My Magic 8 Ball has been a little rusty, as of late.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Rather than remote selectable format, how about a smart controller which analyzes the source and multiple destination options and chooses the optimal settings?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nothing for sure, but here are thoughts/speculation:

I suspect a new Sony will be out shortly, as I've heard rumors that the HD-100 has been discontinued. No dates yet, but no way they would be without an HD STB for long, probably late first quarter with a very minor update - Firewire.

I've also heard rumors that RCA is replacing the DTC100. We'll know for sure when a price break hits on the current model.

Panasonic - the latest price break on the TU-HDS20, now at $379, is pretty telling that this model is towards the end of it's life cycle. This will be replaced soon - maybe by 3rd quarter 2002.

·
Registered
153 Posts
cjett - where did you see a Panasonic for only $379? I would appreciate that information, because I just returned an open box DTC-100 that didn't seem to have a functional antenna input, and I didn't like having to jump to over $500 for a replacement.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
This DTC100 rumor started a few months ago when Best Buy marked and advertised them as closeout items. Best Buy still calls them closeout items, but many stores still have them and keep getting more (in my area anyway which is Best Buy's base location.) Best Buy says they are dropping the product with mo mention of a follow-on replacement from RCA.

When this rumor surfaced months ago, RCA denied a replacement would be available anytime this year. They, like all manufacturers, are not talking about follow-on receivers at all. RCA's position in the past was that people would want to buy HDTV sets with built-in tuners. They believed STBs would be primarily bought by those who want to use them with thei NTSC sets so the DTC100 was first targeted at that market. Undoubtedly RCA now sees that this is incorrect, but they may still believe sets with built-in receivers are more important than a STB follow-on product. Time will tell, I guess.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Richard, cousinsvideo.com had them for $379 on their web site for a few days. They have now changed that to $479, still a good price. I've called around a few places , and no one else has yet to honor a lower price - however, I was told by one that they heard a price update was coming. I placed an order at cousins when the price was at $379 - lucky me.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Since this brand is being dropped from the Thompson lineup in the very near future , I would assume that the silver faceplate 105 (twin to the DTC-100) will be available at a discount.

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
Having been burned once by Sony with their quirky HD100, I would not get whatever new box they come out with. It's still incredibly annoying to see OTA dropouts on HD with the Sony when my first generation Zenith NEVER skips a beat with OTA HD. It's also incredibly annoying to see the lip synch issue on the Sony which, again, the Zenith never shows.

·
Registered
467 Posts
>> RGBHV/component video AND composite video out simultaneously

- Yes with composite running at 480i always, and RGB/Component at any choice of resolution.

- Yes include both RGB and Component HD.

>> 3 RF inputs, one satellite input

- What happened to the RF remote? My RCA SD DirecTV RF Remote is all that's kept me glued to that box. I'm sending the modulated output signal throughout the house, (outside porch too), and changing channels this way is a breeze. (Now you see why I desire simultaneous output?)

- Why not composite/svideo Inputs? If the SD upscaler is going to be top of the line (as represented by the "3rd" generation zenith), then throw in this option to "save" older video devices.

>> Selectable format via remote control (1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, and perhaps other user modified video formats)

- Native mode is the requirement here. So many people want their ABC Sports in 720p with easy 1080i switchover while channel surfing. NATIVE NATIVE NATIVE!

- Also need plenty of menu options for 4:3 to 16:9 conversions and vice versa, with the ability to save the mode per channel.

OK Now that the price of this new box is getting pushed up over $1000, the RCA, Zenith, and Panny are looking more attractive...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.