AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking for a new Pre/Pro for the last 8 mo. I have considered the following:

Anthem 20

B&K Ref 50

Lexicon MC8

Krell Showcase

Sunfire TG III

Classe SSP-60

Rotel 1098

Aragon Stage One

I have read many threads on this and other forums about the above, and have learned much. Between auditions, forums and mags I have kept up to date but am still undecided. I have a fairly complex system (2 TIVOS, VCR, DVD Player, Cd Transport and DAC, Digital Cable Box with HDTV Sidecar Box for Cox Cable, and Turntable) and have been able to rule out some units because of limited conections.

What I would like to get from the members who own the above is not what they like but what they do not like. Not broken units but more toward the software glitches and the things that the Pre/Pro's do in every day use that you do not like.

As of today I am leaning towards the new Rotel 1098.

Thanks For The Help!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I note a lack of response to your question. It seems I am not the only one who owns a pre-pro on your list that is having trouble thinking of things they do not like about it. I have had an AVM-20 for almost two years (DSP & software upgraded) and have no complaints. I suspect that most people on this forum do their research and make and informed purchase leaving them satisfied at the end of the day.

Wayne P

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I do not own any of the above, but have had my eye on the AVM20 for a while.

You may want to explore the upcoming Emotiva line from **********

http://forum.**********/showthread.ph...g+announcement

Talk has it they will offer a pre and 7x200 amp for $4k. The pre will also have a phono input (which I need and you also mentioned).

Sorry this does not answer your real question, but it may be worth considering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think you are right about the informed purchase part. But there are still a thing or two that usually pop up. An example on my B&K 20 would be when you hit a source button twice the remote switches to audio and not the selected source so that when you hit the power button for what you think is the TV or cd player it is in audio mode and turns the Ref 20 off. This is not the end of the world you just turn it back on, but still it is an quirky thing.

Thanks for your replys

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have the TGIII and I am very satisfied. The Anthem is quite good as well. If money is no object I am very fond Classe'. I find them a bit too pricey for me but they usually compete with the best. In that space, they are actually price competitive.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Well, there is one thing that I don't like yet about the Ref 50 and it may only be a problem for me...the remote has been terrifically difficult to get a handle on. :) (Pun intended) The manual is 60 pages and it is apparently authored by the B & K College of Audio Video. That may be a bit of B & K humor for some of you but not for me. It's clear that I haven't even gotten through Audio Video high school yet. This remote is an indication that I ain't no audio video prodigy. But I have faith that once I get the remote figured out I'll like it. At the very least when I get ready to sell the Ref 50 I'll be able to honestly say that the remote really is like new because I never used it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.