AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my Comcast HDTV service installed this week and I find myself going through the ABC, NBC, and PBS programming schedule to find shows broadcasted in HD. A good number of the programs I've found I would never watch but I'm sure I will once I'm up and running with HD.

My question to you all is, does this go away? Do you find yourself starting to watch shows simply because they are HD? Or do you go back to watching your favorite shows no matter what definition they are broadcast in? I think I know what the forum general consensus will be, but it'll be interesting to hear everyone's opinion.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well I have another gadget as compelling as HDTV, an ExpressVu PVR, so Standard Definition has the advantage of being commercial free and at my convenience. Since I watch no sports and few drama series, I don't actually watch a lot of high definition programming.

Things I've watched regularly that I wouldn't have normally:

1. movies on network TV (only family oriented movies that won't be hacked to pieces)

2. Smart Travels on PBS -- one of the most beautiful HDTV shows around, IMO.

3. Football (it's great to watch in HDTV even if you don't give a damn about the game.)

4. Push, Nevada (but apparently I was the only one).

I've found that HDTV doesn't make either Jay Leno or CBS/ABC sitcoms watchable.

Another thing that sets me apart though, is that I don't have regular access to upconverts, as ExpressVu currently only shows true HDTV. I think the quality of upconverted SD is so superior in most cases to the highly-compressed standard definition signal, that I'd gladly sit through the commercials just to see Survivor and Amazing Race that way.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well, yes and no. I'll tend to give shows (particularly new shows) mroe of a chance if they're in HD, but there's honestly just too much HD now for me to watch shows just because they're in HD.

For example, I probably wouldn't be watching Ed if it weren't in HD, and I wouldn't have watched Boomtown for as long as I did. But I still don't watch any any dramas on CBS, even though they're all in HD.

Used to watch a lot of Leno, but rarely do any more. If Letterman were in HD, I'd watch that a lot more than the rare times I catch him now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It went away for me. It had to. I went cold turkey when I caught myself watching In-Laws and Hidden Hills in the same week, simply because they were HD. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I will always watch an HD show once to give it a chance, and to see how good the PQ is, if its good I'll stay, if not I'll leave. I can honestly say I would never have watched CSI, and the Agency if it weren't for HD and they are two of my favorite shows.

Does it wear off? Not really, I've had HD for almost 2 years now, and I still prefer to watch any show in HD over a show in SD even if the content is worse. For instance I'll watch UCONN vs Navy in football over Alabama vs. Auburn anyday, if Navy is HD and Alabama isn't.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Can't stomach network comedies and most dramas, so try to catch as many HD movies as possible. Often wish productions seen in 480p could be 1080i. For example, the Russian film, "Oblomov," aired twice last weekend on a local college program, would be great in HD. And the SciFi channel's current 10-episode "Taken" would benefit, too. Earlier , hoped for a 1080i PBS "Forsyte Saga."-- John

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
For me it doesn't change what I watch rather where I watch it. If it's not HD I won't go into the theater and power up the projector and all. Now SD is very watchable but some how it doesn't seem "worthy" of being shown in the theater.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I've started watching CSI since I got HD (three weeks ago now), even though for me Thursday was already the busiest TV night. Now I PVR Friends through Good Morning Miami, and I watch Survivor and CSI (and I even hang around for Without a Trace). Even though Survivor is not HD, it looks very good. I really like CSI. Heck, I even enjoy CSI Miami even though judging by most peoples' opinions on this forum, it is far inferior to the original.

I do think that after awhile I'll tire of watching shows just because they are HD. But I think the novelty will last at least through the rest of this season. And during the summer, most of the CSIs will be new to me. I don't think I'll get tired of that one.

Be sure to check out Alias. It's a great show with good HD picture quality.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think there was a time when all of us searched out HDTV programming in any shape or form. I remember watching a ballet on PBS and knew then I was being assimilated by HDTV and there was no sense in resisting. I would never, ever in a million years, be watching artful things if it wasn't in HD. Three years later, I am much more discretionary and no longer watch solely because it looks good. There has to be at least some content that interests me. :)

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I went through a phase where I watched a bunch of stuff just because it was in HD, but it wore off in a couple of months.

The major lingering behaviour modification that having HD has left me with is hurrying home on nights when something I normally watch is on in HD. This is due to the fact that I have no HD recorder. Watching my favorite ABC and CBS shows live is reinforced by the fact that the cable in my walls is screwed up such that I receive them poorly and NTSC TiVo recordings of those channels aren't very good.

Right now, I view PBS, CBS and ABC OTA and NBC on cable. My Time Warner provider is hoping to have CBS and ABS on cable on Thursday. It'll be nice to have either a combo cable STB/PVR or a cable STB with 1394/DTCP connections which I could hook to some sort of recorder. (This, along with all of the local DTV channels on cable). Given those things, I could be back to normal.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
713 Posts
All I know is I watched WAY more PBS during the short time WNET-DT was live in NYC. I still watch more CBS programming than I ever did before. All in all, I'd say it doesn't go away.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Until I (hopefully) get OTA working, I only have HBO-HD. I find that I always leave my plasma on that, even when there's a bad movie. And yesterday I discovered that the first few minutes of HDPPV movies on Dish are free, so I drool over those.

Then again, I've only had HD for a week or so...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.