AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mains are Klipsh CF-4s. To me this was a very good mid 90's vintage. Especially large cabinets: 18.5" deep x 16.5" wide and 44" tall. The following models were reduced in size and never sounded as good to me. I feel lucky to have them. I love their sound, especially after sampling them on separates. However, I just opened a thread in the processor section asking advice on getting into separates and I feel like my babies have been dissed. Apparently, their not 'high end' so I shouldn't even bother getting into higher end processors. Everyone seems to agree that my Klipsh are not that impressive. What am I missing? I have an audiophile friend with massive Klipsh cornwalls in his ht room and the legendary lascallas in the 2 channel 'tube' room and after sampling them both, I still love love my lowely CF-4s.

Are the Rockets really that much better? What is so lame about my babies?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Get the separates you want regardless of what others may say about your speakers. Having heard other systems for comparison, if they still sound good to you, isn't that really what counts? I know someone who is driving a pair of $1,800 speakers with electronics costing over $12,000 (separates, of course), and he insists that is what it takes to make his speakers reach their potential and sound their best. While someone else might have allocated the money differently, he likes the sound of his speakers and that's a good reason for him to keep them. Ditto for you and your speakers.

Enjoy!

Burke

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've never heard the model of Klipsch that you have and have no idea where they were in the lineup when they were produced. So long as you are happy with their sound, it doesn't matter what others think. Be happy that you have speakers you enjoy.

Also, it sounds like you've had your speakers for quite awhile, it may be quite likely that the Rocket sound isn't for you. It certainly never hurts to audition other speakers though. You can always check audioenvy.com to see if there is anyone near you who is willing to give auditions of the Rockets.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll admit one thing. I have heard music in showrooms where the sound is impressively distinct and unmatched in my home, where the individual voices seem to jump out. I want that sound. I have no idea if this result is from the speakers or amp or processsor or probably a complex combination of the whole setup. I'm still searching.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If it sounds good to you then great! Your ears are the best judge...heck there are many people who think B&W makes the best speakers (even though they don't) but if they think they sound good then all the power to them...

Anthony

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pjfool
I'll admit one thing. I have heard music in showrooms where the sound is impressively distinct and unmatched in my home, where the individual voices seem to jump out. I want that sound. I have no idea if this result is from the speakers or amp or processsor or probably a complex combination of the whole setup. I'm still searching.
It is a combination of the whole setup although speakers make the biggest difference. Your in-room speaker setup and acoustics can also make a big difference in the sound you're hearing. Speakers can sound MUCH different in your home than they do on the showroom floor.

Have you tried playing with your speaker placement? I'd suggest trying that first. If it doesn't give you the results you're looking for, then begin auditioning new speakers.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Klipsch speakers tend to not be the most accurate of speakers, they tend to be a bit hot in the upper midrange (which can make voices and instruments jump out of the mix --- and sound more clear to some), and a bit hot in the upper bass. They also tend to have more peaks and valleys on their frequency curve. This gives a coloration to the sound that some like and some hate.

Klipsch also tend to be more efficient and will play louder than most other speakers given the same amount of power, which means you don't need as powerful an amp. And they tend to be very good on reproducing dynamic peaks. This characteristic may influence more people to like them than almost anything else - not only big peaks are clean and fast, but smaller peaks are also there. The effect is a very open, uncompressed sound.

So it comes down to what turns you on. Some people hear Klipsch and fall in love with that big, open sound. Others don't like the colorations.

Klipsch has many lines of speakers now. I don't know how much of the classic Klipsch sound is found in each.

Tom B.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am getting some interesting vibes here. One of my biggest complaints with my setup is that I am compelled to turn down the volume for action sequences and turn up the volume for dialog. I always thought this was a result of the soundtrack. Have I been mistaken?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Are you using the KV-4 for center speaker? This would be the best center speaker for timbre matching.

Have you callibrated the sound level from the center vs mains?

The Epic Series CF-4's were only made for two years but still have their fans. They sold for around $2500/pr and are voiced differently from Klipsch Heritage and modern Reference Series. I would try the same options in electronics as RF7, Cornwall, and other high-end Klipsch owners do. Tube amplification may be the best for music and components will probably have the same benefits on CF-4's as they do on the RF7's.

For music I would focus on the source (CD player, external DAC vs typical DVD player) and pre-amplifier. For amplification you need a quality first watt.

I guess that you will find the CF-4 to be much more enjoyable than other speakers in the $2500 price range. Only if you complain that the speakers are harsh or too bright would I recommend looking elsewhere.

Here's the specs on the CF-4s for those that aren't familiar with them.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 34Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 102dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 300 watts maximum continuous (1200 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via dual front-mounted ports

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Two-way system using one 2" (5.08cm) magnetically shielded, aluminum diaphragm compression driver with a 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn and two 12" (30.48cm) neodymium magnet, poly carbon graphite cone woofers

TWEETER: K-63-KN 2" (5.08cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90° x 60° Tractrix® Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1500Hz

WOOFER: Two K-30-KN 12" (30.48cm) Poly carbon graphite cones

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 44" (111.76cm) x 17" (43.18cm) x 19" (48.26cm)

WEIGHT: 108 lbs. (48.99kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Whitewash, Lt. Oak, Med. Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Black Satin

YEARS BUILT: 1994 - 1996

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow thanks for info Hoots. Yes I have the KV-4 center. I purhcased showroom demoes just when they were being phased out. Got the last ones in the store: $1250 for the mains (for the pair) and $499 for the center. I have been happy with them ever since and never knew they could sound so good until I sampled some B&K serarates for a couple of months. My Yamaha RXV-2095 reviever will just not do for me anymore. I am seriously considering getting a used Lexicon MC-1 with the Sherbourn amp from AVScience. Any idea if the Sherbourn is a good matchup for my Klipsh?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
" One of my biggest complaints with my setup is that I am compelled to turn down the volume for action sequences and turn up the volume for dialog."

Sounds like you need to Vocal Enhance feature of say a Lexicon. ;)

Shawn

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.