1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
Reading the article, I felt like I was reding my own thoughts. He nails the advantages / disadvantages of both and, obviously, I agree with the preference of LCOS.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Way back when at a demo of the SX21 at JVC Canada, the rep there said that the space between the pixels was grey in colour, not black, which further added to the silky smoothness.

It's funny how after the recent CEDIA show, there is not much to say out there anymore. It seems like sooo many people were hanging on for a breakthrough that never materialized, and the SX21 has been rejuvenated as a viable PJ option.

- Andy

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
A very interesting observation, Andy! I think that you nailed it.

Kudos for Evan for sharing a 'minority' opinion. And I thought he just told the people whatever they want to hear!

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hunter
And I thought he just told the people whatever they want to hear!
Isn't that what he just did with you ;)?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I returned my SX21 back in June in anticipation of new stuff at CEDIA. Ironic that I'm an ass hair away from buying one again.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Does it have to be an ass hair? Geez, that's a lousy visual.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Don't you love this quote:

"This is ultimately a matter of personal taste. For the majority of the readers of this article, the real practical question is whether a leading edge product like the D-ILA based JVC DLA-SX21 (also marketed as the Dukane ImagePro 9017) is preferable to the various Mustang/HD2 DLP products that sell in its same general price range.

"There is no objectively "right" answer to this question. On a personal note, for my own home theater (if money were no object) I would select the JVC SX21 or Dukane 9017 over any single-chip DLP projector on the market today. That is because I prefer the natural look and feel of the image, and the beautiful color management on this projector that DLP products just can't match. For my taste, when comparing these two technologies the extreme sharpness of the DLP image seems a bit artificial. Though I certainly prefer the contrast of the DLP products, the contrast is not more important to me than the color dynamics and a more natural image I get with the JVC or Dukane. And I would use the Stewart Grayhawk high contrast screen with it to improve black level and contrast. With that combination, the overall balance in the final image is the ideal home theater solution for me.

"Others will disagree. They may prefer the unusually sharp image that DLP often delivers. Or they may place more value on DLP's higher contrast than I do, and relatively less importance on the JVC / Dukane's color quality than I do. These are legitimate esthetic preferences."

This sentiment applies to many of the discussions we have on this forum, including whether DLP is "better" than LCD, CRT is better than digital, etc. Why don't people realize this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My sentiments exactly... I'm a relative noob to front projection, though not to HT. Until a year ago, I thought front projection could only be found in movie theaters & the home's of the rich & famous. Now, through this forum & projector central, I've found that I was just ignorant or just not looking in the right places!

Anyway, I digress... I find it funny that with all the great new pj's & the variety of their delivery; lcd, dlp & DiLA(lcos) driving down the cost, allowing people like me to have what was previously only toys for elite,

"Why do I read about so many people fighting & getting downright rude sometimes in this forum!?

...oh well, just human nature, I guess... :(

...um, did I just answer my own question?!?! ;)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Now, if only JVC or Sony would make a D-ILA or SXRD that competes with the $5000- $6500

HD2 machines like BenQ, Sharp 10K, etc...

I know Sony probably feels justified that their HS-20 gives almost as much quality for much less money, but still, we have been hoping/anticipating an affordable D-ILA/SXRD for almost 2 years now. I think that the first company to come up with a full featured 16 X 9 LCOS variation in the $5000- $7000 price range will sell a lot of machines.

Danfi, it's mainly immaturity.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think some of it has to do with LCOS not recognizing the Home Theater market yet? 15 DLP projector manufacturers should be a an obvious indicator, but they still either don't recognize the market or dont see their niche yet.

Hitachi tried to pull it off but they never fine tuned it for home theater. These guys build these things for business presentations, in which standard performance is enough. When a few of us ask them to fix some issues or fine tune it, they likely scratch their head and say Why? It doesn't make economic sense for only a few people.

How would they recognize the market?

Produce the HX1 and sell it for $4k and they couldn't make em fast enough. Better yet market the light engines to these 15 companies at a more competative rate.

I still feel LCOS day will come as like Evan I wouln't trade ANY single chip DLP for my 5 year old G1000.

Sony may be our answer. When the Qualia transitions to Quantia.

JVC unfortunately remarkets their same projector year after year under a new name and back up at their Super Margin pricing.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
It's interesting how now Evan Powell is the "Guru" and the "speaker of truth" while a couple of months back he was demonized for being too simplistic and a slave to the TI PR Juggernaut...

How things change with a simple article...

Remember, he is one person and that is one person's opinion.

To take that and automatically turn it into "gospel"... well... that's foolish.

There are 3 viable technologies of digital projection (so far...) with likely more coming in the near future.

People choose not only what looks good for them (after all, CRT would be the undisputed king if this was the ONLY truth) but also what is widely available with great customer and dealer service, has a great performance/price ratio, is very easy to setup and use and has a long bulb lifetime among many other factors.

Even LCoS owners can testify that JVC is guilty of not providing many of the aforementioned issues.

Until they do, DLP will be king not because it looks better (for some it does, for others it doesn't) but because it's available by a TON of manufacturers that represent MANY facets of budgets, picture priorities (resolution, CR, brightness, etc. etc.).

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I guess it was time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Quote:
Now, if only JVC or Sony would make a D-ILA or SXRD that competes with the $5000- $6500
Check out the powerbuy, you will be surprised. By the way, it ends this Friday

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I don't like JVC for many reason too.

But not every manufactuer wants to be a mass mass volume business model at very low margin. I am sure that many companies would gladly take far fewer customers for much greater profit margin ( I would too ). Though JVC is mass market in many of their other products lines.

There is a market segment that prefers D-ILA/LCOS over anything else, and these people have PROVEN to pay the premium. Only competition in the D-ILA/LCOS camp will bring down prices and/or better features.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
Check out the powerbuy, you will be surprised. By the way, it ends this Friday
I checked it out and am now watching my SX21 :)

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.