AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't see the benifit of HDMI. If I understand it right, all it does is combines digital video and digital audio together. Why would you need to run digital audio to a TV? The TV does not need a digtital audio feed. You would still need to run a digital audio feed to your audio receiver. Other than saving you the trouble of having to run an extra RCA red and white to the TV, is there any other benefit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
It's uncompressed, you can't record it. This is the main reason it exists.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The cable and connector are thinner and smaller than DVI, making it easier to hide them, bend them, whatever.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your responses guys. As long as they still keep a seperate toslink out to go to my audio receiver, I guess it really won't make much difference for me. I should have known there wasn't much of a consumer benefit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Supposednly it's going to cut down on cable mess and make it easier to connect things. I don't buy it personally. But DVI/HDCP is already uncompressed and unrecordable, so that reason alone can't be why they're pushing for it. It sounds really just like a gimmick from manufacturers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.