AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Oooh. Oooh.. Me first!, Me First!

Might it be the slight keystone from top to bottom?

Is this a contest? Did I win?:D

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It is a black and white movie and you found the auto colorisation button in the service menu?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben
Could these be pictures of the upcoming Panamorph 2.35 in action?? Fingers crossed. :)

Ben
I think we have a winner. The keystoning is from the camera angle, the slight barrel is probably from the lens. And there is no grey bars....

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup your looking at a 1360x1024 4x3 panel treated optically compressing the height to 2:35.1

At 8 feet wide no pixel structure and its bright as H$#&. Looks like film.

Please do not ask any marketing questions regarding price/shipping. I did this without permission from VSR.

There will be a followup shortly.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Beautiful.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Looks great, Alan...but we may need to all pitch in to donate you some more exciting source material. :D

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Yup your looking at a 1360x1024 4x3 panel treated optically compressing the height to 2:35.1

At 8 feet wide no pixel structure and its bright as H$#&. Looks like film.

Please do not ask any marketing questions regarding price/shipping. I did this without permission from VSR.

There will be a followup shortly.
Oh my God! Reminds me of my wedding night! :D I cannot believe that the panamorph allowed for a 1.33 to be morphed to 2.35. Simply amazing!

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Quote:
I cannot believe that the panamorph allowed for a 1.33 to be morphed to 2.35. Simply amazing!
Isn't that what happens in theaters?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
Isn't that what happens in theaters?
Yeah, but I don't have one of those commercial theaters in my home! Do you?

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
What would be the "perfect" set up with a 4x3 projector in this case...would one ideally switch to a 1.85:1 lens for 1.85:1 material and remove the lens altogether for native 1.33:1 material? Or due to convenience issues would one leave the lens installed all the time and just format the aspect ratio of the source to fit (seems like you'd be sacrificing an aweful lot of resolution for native 1.33:1 material in this case...the 1.85:1 lens seemed an even compromise between 2.35:1 and 1.33:1 that makes it tolerable to leave installed permanently).

thoughts?

-dave

·
Registered
821 Posts
My thoughts go something like...

Give me a 1920x1080 D-ILA with built-in optical horizontal stretch / squish. Oh, and firewire / SDI / DVI-in.

Such a no-brainer concept that it's really a wonder we don't already see it on the market. Like DivX-enabled DVD players.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks Alan.

I have had the 2.35:1 Panamorph on order for about a year now (2-weeks Visr time). It is exiting to see it is finally become reality. Please follow up with availability information as soon as possible.:)

I will be using the PII with a Dila projector. I had a 16:9 Panamorph, but sold it in anticipation of the new model. Is it fair to ask technical questions at this time? Vertical offset would be the place to start.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:
What would be the "perfect" set up with a 4x3 projector in this case...would one ideally switch to a 1.85:1 lens for 1.85:1 material and remove the lens altogether for native 1.33:1 material?
Dave,

Not claiming this is the perfect setup by any means, but this is what I plan on doing.

I currently have the 1.85 Panamorph installed and I keep it in place all the time for hdtv, dvds and 1.33 ratio dvds or tv. I set the HiPix and Windvd to fill the projector's panel with the image, then the Panamorph compresses it back to normal. When watching non-anamorphic dvds I need to use YXY. When I get the new 2.35 Panamorph I plan on keeping the 1.85 Panamorph for HDTV, 1.85 & 1.33 dvds, and only use the 2.35 lens for the 2.35 dvds. I am hoping they can both slide back and forth on the same rail setup.

I am really looking forward to the 2.35 lens. Almost 60% of my dvds are 2.35 ratio while only 25% are 1.85. It will be really nice to get rid of the "black" bars. I recently was without my 1.85 lens for a few days and didn't think I would miss it that much, but I was wrong. It drove me nuts not having it. :) I didn't realize how much I had got used to having no light spill above and below my 16x9 screen.

Ben

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Ben,

other than light spill, how significant is the increase in picture quality you're getting with the lens vs with the 4x3 lbxed image "zoomed" on the 16x9 screen without it? Is the added resolution with the lens an big improvement?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:
Ben,

other than light spill, how significant is the increase in picture quality you're getting with the lens vs with the 4x3 lbxed image "zoomed" on the 16x9 screen without it? Is the added resolution with the lens an big improvement?
I think its a noticeable improvement, but not a great big night and day difference. In my opinion its the overall improvement that I have become accustomed to. The picture just seems to have more punch to it, which is probably because of all the factors of the lens....squished pixels, all pixels used which makes the image brighter, & no light spill.

Ben

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.