AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to setup a Mp3 server on my network, I would like to set it up on my Linux Box preferrably.. Does anyone know of some good mp3 server software for linux or even windows?

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Streaming (think Radio Stations)

OR

File Hosting (to let people pick what they want on the fly)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Casper42
Streaming (think Radio Stations)

OR

File Hosting (to let people pick what they want on the fly)

Either or would be fine.. Streaming is nice so is File Hosting... Looking for something that is flexible and stable..

·
Registered
50 Posts
 Roomjuice would be my first pick. It is written in PHP and is very flexible and stable.

I've been using it for about 3 months now. I have modified the way that it looks, the way that it acts and a few other things in order for it to fit in my livingroom.

All that you really have to do is point the configuration file to the mp3 directory on your sever (mine is /var/ftp/mp3) and run the program.

I have also experimented with Otto , but it isn't nearly as flexible, but out of the box it does have a cleaner interface to it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Turnstyle has a very cool product called Andromeda that basically is a small asp or php file that reads your directory structure and creates a HTML view complete with simple to use buttons to play the whole album, queue up a song, etc. www.turnstyle.com

In addition to that, I'm using OvernightTech's Music Console (thread is alive and well in the HTPC forum here on AVSForum). www.overnighttech.com

Turnstyle is better for a remote server for serving up streaming files to another PC on the network. Music Console is better for a single box that connected to a home stereo and you can control it either locally or via remote control using WinXPs Remote Desktop. Very cool looking product.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too am looking to share my MP3 library using some sort of client\\server arangement. My MP3 files are on a Windows 2000 box which is running PHP. I looked at Otto which seems to be Perl and Room Juice which is PHP but requires some *nix binaries to run? IE mpg321? Anybody know if I can get one of these running on a Windows2K server or if there is a piece of server software better suited for a Win2K environ?

Thanks alot.

jp

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
if you are looking for a sweet setup but for a dedicated server that will do http firewall mp3 serving ftp email check out sme server at www.e-smith.org theres also a thread on the htpc group..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an e-Smith server set up as my cable modem gateway/firewall. I installed Netjuke as an .mp3 music server and I'm pretty happy with it. Netjuke lets you set up public and private playlists as well as all the other 'normal' music server functions via a web interface. The music is stored on the e-Smith server in a SMB accessable directory as well as being available through the web interface. This setup is working out well as the server side of the puzzle.

The client side of the puzzle is another matter entirely though. The AudioTron seems to be the best commercial client available right now but the lack of customization options irks me. Are there any canned AudioTron type LINUX applications available ?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well you can setup another linux box say a epia 800.... easiest way i can think of.. or maybe a webplayer???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pen25
well you can setup another linux box say a epia 800.... easiest way i can think of.. or maybe a webplayer???
The EPIA 800 is what I'm using for the server and also what I have in mind for the client. Very nice motherboard but the S/PDIF out doesn't seem to work well with 44.1k sound sources. At least not with Win2K. I intend to try it under LINUX one of these weekends and see if the noise problems still exist. The software to run on the client seems to be the missing piece right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RayGannon,

My company is currently developing a Linux-based media appliance using the fanless VIA ME6000 as the reference platform. We also have a prototype box running on an EPIA 800. I'm a huge fan of both boards!

The best audio results to date have been with the Alsa drivers. But a warning - Alsa, kernel 2.4.19 and the ME6000 needs a lot of tweaking to get a clean sound.

As far as the software goes, we're in (early) beta stages and need some real users to give us some feedback on what works, what needs to change, what to add, what is c**p, etc.

For anyone who's interested in a VIA/Audio howto, let me know! For anyone who's interested in working with my company as part of a beta software program, send me a private message with your email and we can arrange to get the software packaged up and out to you sometime in April.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.