Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the best models that have the following features

- interlaced (don't need progressive, i have a quadscane elite hd)

- awesome circuitry (12 bit maybe?)

- preferebly RGB(S|HB) BNC connectors

- dts compatible

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
These questions are kind of exclusionary.

Most anything with RGBHV outs will probably be progressive (I know of no interlaced RGB display input); the only way I know to get this is aftermarket (like Cinematrix). However, this may become the next "standard" (like progressive component outputs have become)--although I don't know how quickly (after all, there's not many TV's w/RGB in!).

As for interlaced players, I would assume that many are now similar. Once upon a time, Sony was king (like my old 7000 or now 7700); now it seems Panasonic rules. It looks like you're doing out-board processing of the (S-video or component) signal, so the requirements on the actual player are relaxed (like I said, many use the same chip sets in the "standard" interlaced path).

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I'm using a Quadscan Elite HD to scale the image, so there's no need to feed it 480p.

I know the Faroudja DV1000 DVD player uses RGBS BNC video outputs., but didn't support DTS. Any others?

I have an NEC XG-110.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was using sVideo->LP350

Tried about 10 or so different DVD players

Liked the RP91 / JVCD723GD in that Order

RP91 is 12bit/54mhz ($429 ecost.com)

JVC723 10bit/54mhz ($200 Costco )

Both only have Component/sVideo/Composite

so U would need a TransCoder

PQ Differences were SMALL but there on 80x45 screen

JVC setup/navigation software I liked better

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Panny rv-31 has been great for me. No chroma bug, good interface, never had a problem. Got it for ~ $140.

-Jon

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I said earlier, I don't need a transcoder or anything crazy like that. I have a Quadscan that will accept component input 480i and scale it.

Sounds like the Panasonic RP-91 is a favourite?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The Pioneer DV-440 is a great workhorse of a player..... It DOES have the chroma bug but it tends to be VERY reliable and play just about everything that's out there (i.e. it doesn't have a lot of problems with various DVDs).

Peace.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
dhanks,

The only 2 players that come to my mind are the Sony S7000/7700 and the Integra DTR-7.2. The Integra is a THX Ultra DVD-Audio/Video player that is interlaced output only, w/ 10-bit/54MHz video DAC's. I have read reviews of this player (in a couple of well-known HT mags), and both articles say that it does indeed have a very clear & sharp picture (which is why it is THX Ultra certified, for it's video performance). It also has the ability to upsample standard CD's as well as decode CD-R's & CD-RW's w/ MP3 audio.

You should check out Integra's website ( www.integrahometheater.com ). Oh, by the way, I don't work for them, but I do love their products.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I would recommend the RP91. Not only does it not have the chroma bug, but its MPEG decoder does something else special, which I will talk about in a future article. I would post here, but I don't want to give any mag the chance to publish it first. (Hell will freeze over before any mag figures it out before we publish about it! :))

·
Registered
295 Posts
dhanks,

I'm sorry I gave you the wrong model# for the Integra player. It is the DPS-7.2, not the DTR-7.2 (which is the model# of one of their receivers).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Any thoughts on me having an RP91 SDI modded? Feed that to HTPC, and DVI out from there to DVI input on plasma.

·
Registered
105 Posts
llogan,

I had my RP91 modded for SDI from Tom Strade at Immersive ( www.immersiveinc.com ). Tom responded to all the questions I had regarding the mod, and quality of work that was done on the player is excellent. I've had no problems with it thus far. I'm inputing the RP91 into a Leeza, and outputing RGBHV to my RPTV.

You can't go wrong with SDI; I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just purchased the Panasonic DVD RV-30 with the SDI mod from Immersive, we'll see how that goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.