AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread about buzzing plasmas....

It might be a useless thread but I just want to

know if others have the BUZZ like I do? (I have a Pioneer 6070)

Does your plasma buzz?

What kind of buzz? Does it BUZZ louder on bright scenes? and how loud is it? And can you hear it during quiet scenes?

thanks, rp

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
OK I'll bite.

I have a 429UK and I first noticed the buzzing when using the break-in DVD without speakers attached. It was definitely loudest when the screen was completely white. I could hear it from my seating position 6-8 ft away. When I connected speakers and watched normal content - DVDs, TV - with the volume at a low level I couldn't hear it.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Philips 9631...no external audio, I use the TV as-is....only buzzing I hear is if the TV is muted and put my head around the back of the TV to within about 6" of the back panel.

All TV's have different electromagnetic sounds....I wouldn't worry about any buzzing if you can't hear it during normal viewing/playing...and especially if you couldn't hear it from closer than 3'-4' with the MUTE on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hitachi 55HDS69...slight buzz when audio is very low, but can't hear it at all during normal operation.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
50Px500u.....not a hint of buzzing.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoreid /forum/post/0

I just wanted to start a thread about buzzing plasmas....

There are already several threads about Plasma buzzing . . . . .

The bottom line is if you can hear a buzz at say 3 feet away or more, the TV is probably defective and needs to be replaced or repaired. There are seemingly hundreds of posts here in various threads from owners of various brands that report no buzz at all at more than a few feet so this is the norm.

If you hear it from your chair, have the TV replaced if you can, otherwise have it repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are you saying that if you hear your plasma buzz 3 or more feet away (with sound down) it is probably defective?

All plasmas could be defective if you hear a buzz 3 feet away or more?

thanks, rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

The bottom line is if you can hear a buzz at say 3 feet away or more, the TV is probably defective and needs to be replaced or repaired. There are seemingly hundreds of posts here in various threads from owners of various brands that report no buzz at all at more than a few feet so this is the norm.

If you hear it from your chair, have the TV replaced if you can, otherwise have it repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Quote:

If that's the case then there would be a significant number of plasmas being returned. I would be surprised if many retailers would accept a return for a plasma that buzzes from 3 feet away. If it is easy than I would consider returning mine. Of course, then I take a risk of something else being wrong - damage during shipping, dead pixels, etc. If it's just a minor annoyance that can be overcome with low volume levels and not a defective unit that will continue to show more problems over time, I think I can live with it. I will contact VA and Panasonic commercial division to hear what they have to say.

It would be interesting to see how many people with buzzing plasmas tried to return their TV, and if they were successful.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is really too bad that many of you are having buzzing issues; I know that it is normal, especially on some makes and models. I very much expected to have buzzing (because I live at about 7000-7100ft.) but thankfully my TH-42PX6U is basically totally silent unless I am within 1ft. from the back and even then it is hard to hear.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

Quote:

This is bad information...it is not ALWAYS due to a defective set...I returned my 9UK twice and all three buzzed the same...I sure wouldn't think I would get 3 defective sets in a row...

·
Registered
846 Posts
My Panasonic 50px50 has a very faint buzz, but in order for me to hear it, I have to stick my head behind the set and then it's no louder than my Moto 6412's HDD. I do have some Sonex on the front wall, so that may help.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:

Thats wrong to say that. There are many models that have the buzzing sound. It was a known thing on the early Pio models, and in fact it means nothing. I have had the PSU replaced on mine at 1800 hours. It stilled buzzed after that and has ever since up to the 20000 or so hours I have on it now. If it is so loud you can hear it over the show you are watching I might worry, but a little buzzing, there isn't anything wrong with that....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find this interesting.

I myself had NO BUZZ when I had a Pioneer 43inch - then very very little with my Pioneer 50 inch -

and then when I got the Pio 6070 - The BUZZ is the loudest compared to the smaller sizes....

*I am wondering if there IS ANY correlation between plasma size and the BUZZ?

thanks, rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/0

That is really too bad that many of you are having buzzing issues; I know that it is normal, especially on some makes and models. I very much expected to have buzzing (because I live at about 7000-7100ft.) but thankfully my TH-42PX6U is basically totally silent unless I am within 1ft. from the back and even then it is hard to hear.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoreid /forum/post/0

I find this interesting.

I myself had NO BUZZ when I had a Pioneer 43inch - then very very little with my Pioneer 50 inch -

and then when I got the Pio 6070 - The BUZZ is the loudest compared to the smaller sizes....

*I am wondering if there IS ANY correlation between plasma size and the BUZZ?

thanks, rp

I don't find that weird at all. It is very likely Pioneer uses the same PSU in all their panels. As screen size gets bigger it would take more power to run it, so a smaller screen wouldn't stress the same size PSU that is used in the 60.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But they all draw different amount of wattages from what I can tell... with the 42/43 drwing the least.

thanks, rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellenerSptM5 /forum/post/0

I don't find that weird at all. It is very likely Pioneer uses the same PSU in all their panels. As screen size gets bigger it would take more power to run it, so a smaller screen wouldn't stress the same size PSU that is used in the 60.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.