AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently using a gel and it has contrast loss as well as bad reflections.

Im looking for something better quality.

Ive called everywhere and Im told by numerous suppliers they stopped making the glass filter. All thats available is the gel which I think is terrible in quality.

Anyone know of something better and where to get it!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Alan

These filters are mounted between glass

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filte...or_correction/

Most other filter manufacturers start with ordinary window glass that has been poured in thin sheets and cooled quickly, introducing internal flaws. B+W filters, on the other hand, start with a cylinder of Schott German optical glass from which the filters are diamond cut, precision ground, and then polished to ensure flatness on both surfaces and uniform thickness throughout. Every B+W filter is interferometrically tested for plane parallelism. This process is used routinely by the world’s leading lens makers, but only rarely by filter manufacturers.

To reduce unwanted reflection and lens flare, which can seriously degrade the image contrast and resolution, we give our filters a coating on both sides. This guarantees that the high MTF performance of your lens is maintained exactly as the lens manufacturer intended it. You can also request filters with the new Multi Resistant Coating (MRC) developed by B+W which provides greater durability than the prior multi-coating process.

Finally, most B+W screw-in filters are mounted in a matte black, corrosion-free brass ring, further reducing surface reflections and minimizing distortion or binding of the filter to the lens, even during rapid temperature changes. All filters must pass manual as well as automated tests to insure that each and every one that leaves the factory meets our critical standards.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Try the Lee Resin filter available from B&M photo (EDIT: B&H photo, doh!)on the web.

They will have as good or better performance than the glass versions and are a lot cheaper. They are made of a high quality plastic

I've never heard of anyone using a green CC filter for digital projection. You must have a wild project on tap.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B&H are out of stock and wont take my order for the green.

Schneideroptics is out of stock and says it could be a month or longer if I place a order. Arggg very frustrating

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
tycoon,

B&H it is. Sorry for the typo.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Banned
770 Posts
Alan, I'd posted before than I would first try a local Photography supply store. Was able to get the Hoya that no one could find on-line and cheaper as well.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lee Filter sold me direct. $60.

20 cc green Resin.

I should have it tomorrow.

For the money this better be a dam good filter:)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
could be worse B & W are about $280

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder what Hitachi will be contracting when they start offering the filter?

Will it be a basic gel?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Lee Filter sold me direct. $60.

20 cc green Resin.

I should have it tomorrow.

For the money this better be a dam good filter:)
Uh...Oh...I'm on the hook now.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have been using the Optiflex 100 series of CC Red filters and they work very well. They are resin filters and are very similar to the Lee filters. The red filters are generally available for $30 to $35, and I assume the green ones would be a similar price.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Tiffen makes these for cameras. Should probably be somewhere between $5 and $30. These are optical quality used in still photography. A 58 mm will sit right inside the lens and unless you are at very wide angle, would probably not induce picture degredation. If they make a 59 or 60 mm, it may fit the threads.

See one of my prior posts one use of Tiffen filters.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve and tod now you tell me.

Yup Mrwiggles is definetly on the line. For $60 he better be right on this one.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
tiffen only makes a magenta series and a 30 red

do idea why they do not do other color corection

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok just got my Lee Resin 20cc green filter.

Im going to be the only person on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon with the shades pulled sitting in the dark adjusting my projector.

First observation: This is a thick piece of plastic and there is definitely noticeable light loss but it is much sharper than the gel.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Tdog, my Tiffen brochure list ALL primary/secondary colors with range from 05 to 50.

Colors include B/C/G/M/R/Y in 05/10/20/25/30/40/50

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
toddalin

Thats good to know as their website only has what I stated above

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.