AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an HDTV for gaming. I read that they need to have a specific response time on them to avoid getting input lag when playing video games, however, I am not an expert in this matter. Could you recommend a good 1080p screen for under $500 between 40"-42" that would give me no problems when playing games and that could provide a great picture quality for gaming and general TV viewing? I went to Walmart but the TV's they sell are kind of bad IMO, they usually have a bad picture quality, many of them have 60hz, and the prices are expensive. I am looking for at least a 120hz panel. Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Sony tv for gaming. They seem to have a focus on low input lag. BB has the Sony KDL40W600B.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
But that one is only 60hz, I would like a set with at least 120hz. Thank you for your help :)
Why do you think you need 120 Hz? What console do you use for gaming? Do you use a computer hooked up to the TV for gaming?

Really there is so much misinformation out there about what makes a good HDTV for gaming. Here are a few things to help clear that up.

1. If your console only outputs 60 FPS then the FPS of the TV is almost irrelevant. Right now you only need a TV with a fast refresh rate for HTPC gaming. And even then 120 FPS is about as high as you will need to go.

2. Input lag time is the single most important aspect for gaming. That is where the TV takes time to display the image after you do an action with the controller. If the delay is less than 50 ms then you probably won’t notice it. There aren’t many LED HDTVs that have less than 50 ms input lag times straight out of the box without turning on any special gaming functions.

Luckily a lot of these TVs have gaming modes that will turn off most of the processing that causes the input lag. However, those gaming modes usually turn off the motion blur reduction functions that are also necessary.

3. Motion blur can be very annoying during gaming. By default the motion blur is usually quite apparent for fast paced games with ANY LED HDTV. There are very few LED TVs that have excellent motion blur without a motion interpolation function. You really need to find a TV that can reduce motion blur and have less than 50 ms input lag at the same time. That is not always easy to accomplish.

4. Computers can achieve much higher resolution and frame rates than consoles can. 4K @ 60 FPS and 1080p @ 120 FPS will work with most high end computers. If you are going to use a computer with your TV it is best that the TV supports both of those resolutions and frame rates.

Strictly speaking for console gaming within your budget the new 2015 Vizio E-series is the best option. It is the only TV in that price range that can achieve a low input lag time simultaneously with good motion blur. However, it is not a 4K TV so it is not ideal for use with a computer.

You can get a 48” 2015 Vizio E-series TV for $459 at Costco right now. That is your best option in this price range for console gaming at the moment. The 48” is better than the 50” Vizio because the 48” is an IPS TV which gives better viewing angles. In addition it also has a much more detailed image than the 50” E-series.

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-48"-Cla...-Smart-LED-HDTV-E48-C2.product.100158762.html

I have both of those TVs and I compared them side by side last night with the same content. Simply put the 48” looked better than the 50”. If I had to do it again I would have just bought two 48” E-series TVs instead of one 48” and one 50”.

If you decide that you want to get a TV from another manufacturer then you are going to have to either sacrifice functionality or screen size in order to fit into your budget.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Sony tv for gaming. They seem to have a focus on low input lag. BB has the Sony KDL40W600B.
The Vizio E-series will give you better performance than the Sony for 20% less(About $100 less).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts