AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , Im in the market for a new Widescreen TV 60inch minimum. What sets out there have impressed you guys. Any new or useful features I should be aware of ? Budget is flexible , btw 3 and 5 k. Will be receiving My HDTV via my cable company. Sports and Movies are my primary viewing. Thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would buy a 50" Plasma. You might be able to find an EDTV Panasonic flat panel for around your price range. You can't go wrong there. I have a 42" ED Panasonic. Looks freakin awesome, espically with Progressive scan DVD or HD on it. Don't worry, even though it says EDTV and not HDTV it still looks AWESOME with and HD signal- it will take it. Looks almost the same as a much more expensive 'HDTV' model. Wish I had bought the 50".

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
There are many choices to choose from.

There are alot of things to consider like type of display.

You should learn the differences and then make a decision based on what is important to you.

Personally I have a 55" Mitsubishi Diamond Rear Projection CRT.

I wanted a great picture but I didn't want to spend alot of money. I paid $3000.00

If you want a 60" plasma you will spend about $7000.00

Try this site as a good place to get started.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_sets_avail.html

Then asking a question like

"What is the best 60" Rear projection TV for under $5000.00"

More people will be willing to help you if you ask more precise questions.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Check the AVS Display Forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Sony KF-60XBR800 and love it! It's a rear projection, but uses LCD instead of the standard guns, so it's a lot thinner. I originally had the 50" model, but traded up for the 60." I don't "stretch" 4x3 programs to fit the 16x9 format because of the distortion, and the 4x3 picture is quite small on a 50" widescreen. Probably the equivalent of a 36" diagonal traditional TV.

The 50" wide screens you see in the stores look good, but they are usually displaying 16x9 HD signals, which as you know are the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Must be 60 inches minimum . RPTV. Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Check out the Mitsubishi WS73711 73-inch HDTV. It uses 9-inch CRTs to create an HD image that's sharper than anything short of a $30,000 CRT front projector, according to Hometheater magazine.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I agree with DVDjags if you want the best picture quality go with the ws73711 or the ws65711.

You can also look at the Sony GWII that they others mentioned.

The mitsu has a better picture if you are sitting directly in front of it. The sony deals with off center viewers better.

Basically there is more glare on the Mitsu.

The Sony doesn't have the black levels that the Mitsu has. But some people don't care about black levels.

If you look very hard you will be able to see motion artifacts like you see on any LCD based display.

The sony is nice because it is only 18in deep rather then 24 like the Mitsu. Also the sony looks more high tech.

But the sony requires some sort of stand, and has no OTA HD tuner like the Mitsu.

You can also look at the samsung DLP, and there is LCos display as well that is worth a look.

I don't know much about these displays though.

I would repost your question to the Rear Projection TV forum.

Remember to each his own.

This is my opinion and others probably won't share it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.