AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best brand of component RCA to BNC cables out ther? I was looking at the Transparent brand.

I'll be using it on a 1000HD

Thanks

sydney

· Registered
181 Posts
That works. I'd suggest you look at www.bettercables.com ; they use, to the best of my knowledge, mostly Canare cable and connectors, which I use to build my own cables. Good equipment and if the price isn't too high, makes it a worthwhile investment.

· Registered
87 Posts
I bought the bettercables RCA to BNC for my 1000HD. Incidentally, I ordered them at 1:30 in afternoon and they were delivered to my office 9:30 the next morning!

I had tried adding my own connectors (Canare) to the prewired cables in the wall (from our remodeling). Failed miserably, not as easy (for me) as the instructions made it look. Couldn't get a signal.

If you can find those little rca to bna connectors, you are better than me! Looked everywhere in town and on the net, couldn't find such a thing.

Bettercables was the easy (and probably better) way out for me.

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugyvel I found those BNC adaptors at Radio Shack $3.99each. That's what im currently using but was told to go with straight RCA to BNC cables. I've done everything high end so I don't want to finish the project off with cheap video cables.

Sydney

· Registered
87 Posts
Neither Radio Shack in my area had them. But I agree with you, get the cables. Someone, somewhere on one of these forums had emplatically stated that those RS adapters will signficantly degrade the quality of the signal. Who knows, I'm still not sure I can tell the difference between cables!

· Registered
87 Posts
One other thing, if you happened to go for the Bettercables. All component cables I have seen have been fairly thick RG6 or RG59 type cables. The bettercables, which seem to be quite highly recommended, are made of much, much thinner and very flexible wire/cable (not sure which, I wasn't about to take apart a connector to find out!). Much easier to work with.

· Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ugyvel
Neither Radio Shack in my area had them. But I agree with you, get the cables. Someone, somewhere on one of these forums had emplatically stated that those RS adapters will signficantly degrade the quality of the signal. Who knows, I'm still not sure I can tell the difference between cables!
Big surprise, that. Unless you're doing really long cable runs or have some defective cheap cables (it happens), pretty much everything will look the same. It's too easy to convince HT people that they should spend lots of money on interconnect, even though the cheap stuff works just as well. :) Sure, under some circumstances you can tell a difference, but for the vast majority of installations, no.

And if people still keep blowing huge wads of cash on "high-end" cable after everything is digital, I'm going to be pissed. :)

My preferred cable supplier: http://www.cablewholesale.com

Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.