AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD and it was a little confusing because it didn't seem to explain a lot of the test patterns, etc.

However, I thought that DVE was supposed to release a consumer (eg. newbie) HD-DVD that would be used for calibrating HDTVs? (eg. a dumbed-down version of their existing HD-DVD product)

Has this been cancelled?

What's the easiest disc to use to calibrate an HDTV?

Ideally I'd like to run the test patterns from my home theater PC (which is where I play most of my 720p content)...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng /forum/post/12897190

I've tried the Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD and it was a little confusing because it didn't seem to explain a lot of the test patterns, etc.

However, I thought that DVE was supposed to release a consumer (eg. newbie) HD-DVD that would be used for calibrating HDTVs? (eg. a dumbed-down version of their existing HD-DVD product)

Has this been cancelled?

Ideally I'd like to run the test patterns from my home theater PC (which is where I play most of my 720p content)...

I don't know that you are really going to find one right now. From what I hear, the DVE version that is out right now is like you described. It has patterns, but not much explanation. I think the "full" versions of both Avia and DVE, with all the tutorials, have yet to be released.

You can try the disks in my sig, but they offer no explanation. There is a good writeup by alluringreality in the first post of that thread that may help you. If you already have the color filters, then you can use the basic section on AVS HD. You could also read alluringreality's explanations and try to expand them to DVE's patterns.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:

Did you study the foundational tutorial materials on the SD side first? The HD side assumes you understand the SD side.

Did you download the PDF program notes available for both sides? There is much more detail there about each pattern and what to do with it.
http://www.videoessentials.com/Manuals.php
http://www.videoessentials.com/dvehd...gram_final.pdf
Quote:
I thought that DVE was supposed to release a consumer (eg. newbie) HD-DVD that would be used for calibrating HDTVs? (eg. a dumbed-down version of their existing HD-DVD product)

Supposedly due out in March. It's titled: 'DVE: HD Basics.' It will still offer both beginner and more advanced materials.
Quote:

The SD disc titled: 'HDTV Calibration Wizard' from ISF/Monster/Microsoft.
Quote:

Then get 'DVE Pro' for $99.95. It contains what you need in WMV9 HD for media center rigs.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts