AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, its been a while since I last posted. And I was wondering I want a projector and I usually go to the HTPC forum here. Most of those guys have crt projectors. i really dont care about the great resolution or custom resolution stuff. I dont mind 800*640 or 1024*768. I think dvds look great on a regular tv, I just want the huge 80+ inch screens. I would like to be able to play movies in widescreen format or regular format depending on the movie. And I want to play video games on it. So which application is best for my needs? Which projector will suffer less from burn in caused by video games? Thanks for your info. And for helping make my decision. Cost is a factor, not that I'm not willing to spend more but if for my needs I can go cheaper thats fine with me. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by skilzygw (edited 05-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by skilzygw (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
CRT is probably ultimate quality if you can get 100% light control and dont mind a smaller screen / higher gain... It would probably be cheaper to pick up a CRT unit used if the shipping does not break the axles of the delivery truck http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ...

That said you have some requirements that make a CRT unadvisable.. Video Games will cause burn in if played for long periods of time and I always think that HTPC's and CRT's is always a bit risky considering the static elements of a Windows screen etc...

If you want near CRT quality and can handle the noise / heat issues I am told that a DILA that is well calibrated (especially on a Grey screen) comes very close in performance and excels in light output without any of the associated setup, convergence, burn in headaches...

The cost would be more but 3.5-4K gets a G1000 <5K should get a G11 and G15's can be found for <6.5 (one went for 5k calibrated on this forum a while ago !!!) G20 about 10k lightly used....

A G20 should be able to power a 12-15 foot wide screen try that with CRT !!!!

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Skilzygw, (I also replied in the CRT area....)

First of all welcome to the forum. You have been assimilated! I would easily recomend an LCD, DLP, or D-ILA unit for your situation. Basically on the video game comment you made. I run an NEC VT540 (lcd) unit and couldn't be happier. I've reciently switched to the lcd unit from an old Sony crt unit. I'm in the same boat that you are. I like good quality video performance, but also want the gaming aspect of it. I run my lcd on to a 4:3 120" screen with brightness to spare!! I can even run some lighting for veiwing gaming controls. In fact I have two lights on right now. I realize you stated you don't care about the resolution, but the VT540 has a 1024x768 and will blow you away on DVD material and knock you out of your seat on HD material. It will run both 1080i and 720p! Let me get back off the "check this baby out" kick and tell you that you take a greater risk of burn-in with a crt unit and depending on your set-up the crt unit has a is a fixed mounting distance for set-up. You have to make sure that with the screen size you want that the crt can be mounted for that size screen. With an LCD unit you have quite a bit of play in terms of distance from the screen for a specific screen size. As far as the 4:3 or 16:9 format goes, I'd stick with something that will project a 4:3 image since it sounds like you'll be doing your share of viewing 4:3 material. You can either let the black bars kick in for other formats or build (black curtain material) masking for the "black bars" area.

I hope that helped,

Mike...

------------------

Let's go out to the lobby.

Let's go out to the lobby.

To have ourselves a snack!

[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.