AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this whole HT thing and was browsing these forums looking for answers.

Whats the best crossover frequency to set my amp at?

It has the options of: 80-100-120-150-200

Also, what should i put my speaker sizes to? (Small, Large, which ones?)

My System:

A/V Receiver: JVC RX-6020VBK

Main Speakers: JVC SP-458K (140W) (10") ( (8ohms)

Center: Advent AHT850 (100w) (Dual 4") (FR-80hz-20khz) (+/-3dB) (8ohms)

Satellites: Advent AHT850 (90w) (4") (FR-80hz-20khz) (+/-3dB) (8ohms)

Subwoofer: Advent AHT850 (100wRMS) (8") (Crossover-3dB 30-150Hz) (FR-30hz-150hz)

Thnx in Advance,

EhBeaver

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would set all speakers of your 5 main speakers so all the bass goes to the sub. If the rated frequency response is not exxagerated, then the 80Hz should be fine but also experiment with 100Hz to if it sounds better.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As fabulousfrankie says, set your speakers to "small," and initially set the crossover for 80Hz. However, since the satellites and center begin dropping off at 80Hz, you may find that setting the crossover at 100Hz provides a better transition between your sub and the speakers.

Victor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your help

My sub has no crossover control, just a volume control. Right now I'm using a subwoofer cable to my amp's sub out. I notice my sub has speaker connections(whats better to use, cable or the spkrs)

My system isnt the greatest but sounds ok.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Use the RCA connection from the receiver's sub out to the input on the sub. It doesn't matter whether the sub has a crossover or not because when you set the speakers to small and sub to "yes or what every your receiver says" it uses the crossover built into your receiver (and every other Dolby Digital receiver).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did what you told me. I ran a few ear tests with 80 and 100 crossover, 100 sounds tiny bit better. I was using a -10dB for the LFE attenuator. The sub seems to rattle at high volumes. But over all it does sound better.

Why set all speakers to small?

You don't know how many days I've boggled my mind with these questions that you guys answered with in a few hours.

Thnx Agains

·
Registered
451 Posts
Why? Because when the 5 main speakers are relieved of demanding bass duties, they are allowed to focus and play the rest of the freq's cleaner. It also increases the amplifier's headroom to the 5 main speakers. In addition to this, it's easier to get a good response from one speaker that plays the bass rather than trying to integrate 5 speakers plus a sub that are playing bass. With the sub you can pretty much choose to put it where ever the bass is the best, with the other speakers it's much more limited in placement.

On the LFE, do you mean the sub volume or the actual LFE setting? If it's the LFE setting, set it to what ever it's original setting was and simply adjust the subwoofer level, either from the the receiver or the sub itself.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is one other option I suggest trying. Set your main (L&R) speakers to large, all the others to small and the x-over to 100Hz. Your sub will be less strained and you'll make more use of the 10" drivers in your mains. Just give it a try and let your ears decide.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MJConnel
There is one other option I suggest trying. Set your main (L&R) speakers to large, all the others to small and the x-over to 100Hz. Your sub will be less strained and you'll make more use of the 10" drivers in your mains. Just give it a try and let your ears decide.
I would recommend experimenting with that only if his sub had a crossover and he could properly cut it where his mains dropped off. It still doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both seem to be roughly the same, its really hard to tell, since day by day, hour by hour my ears hear things differantly.(holds his nose and pops his ears again).

But over all, the information you guys have given me has helped me.

thnx again.

That solves that problem, many more where that came from....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.