AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm going deaf and I'm only 23. I have cheap htib speakers. They work pretty well and they're setup and sound better than my dad's bose, but the center channel is never quite clear enough for me or my girlfriend. I find myself adjusting it to be louder but then theres potential for distortion. I just want dialog to be clear and be able to crank it up without risking crackling if need be. Eventually when I have more money I'll upgrade everything, but right now I teach part time and have taken time off because I was applying to graduate school. Money is not ample in my future, but I can scround around 150 or so to get something that wont make me want to turn on the subtitles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
take a quick look at the speaker company.com as well as the refurbs available from the polk and infinity store on ebay. Considering that you are still going to be using the old HTIB i would look for some of the cheapest options out there. it's not like when u upgrade in the future you are going to build your system around this center speaker anyways. anything will sound good compared to many HTIB's out there. just make sure that your receiver is able to push the speaker that you are purchasing.

$69 polk

$50 speaker company

There are tons of options available. If it were me i would look into getting some decent bookshelfs for the money. then add things to this as needed. you can use the old htib as surrounds and a center if needed.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would buy the best center you can possibly afford and then slowly build a system around it. For that amount of money, though, I might just use phantom center and invest in a better pair of front speakers and then go from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the linked the speaker company center and doing the same thing with my logitech z5500s (The center is pretty weak) until I can get a real setup together. The online specs say that 'amp' pushes 69 watts RMS to the center channel, will that be enough to make use of that center?

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Browse your local audio stores for single bookshelf speakers that sound good. You don't *need* to have a dedicated center speaker. There is nothing magical in what they do. Many find using 3 matched bookshelf speakers acrosss the fronts work very well. You may be able to find three matching speakers and solve your need to upgrade until you can afford better.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack /forum/post/15683071

I am looking into this as well, but I have to ask (i.e. noob)....what is a phantom center?

It's when you set your receiver's center setting to NONE. Thereby letting your L/R speakers generate the center channel information.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack /forum/post/15683261

Ah, ok. Thanks for the response. I am getting my first AV receiver here soon (Denon 1908) so I have a lot to learn.

Greg

You're welcome. Just post on AVS, I'm sure a lot of people here would be willing to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.