AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have the Panny RP82 and I love it but I need a changer. Is there a changer that is better or comparable to the RP82's performance. Sorry for the ignorance but once I got the RP82 I didnt read up on AVS for a while because I was so happy. ;)

Thanks

Flan

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The Panasonic CP72 is closely related to the RP82 and it's a 5 disc changer. But you'd have to buy soon before they get even harder to find. Mine should arrive from Crutchfield tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Yamaha C920, has DCDi & Burr Browns.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey Patrick,

Does the C920 display remaining time for a movie? I'm thinking about picking this up over the weekend. Anything else you can tell me why this might be a good changer both audio/video wise?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm not sure if it does or not. I know it puts out a nice picture, & has damn good build quality.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflanagan
Currently I have the Panny RP82 and I love it but I need a changer. Is there a changer that is better or comparable to the RP82's performance.
PQ between the RP82 and the CP72 is virtually the same. For the money, the CP72 is very difficult to beat. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got a CP-72 feeding my Sharp Z10000 projector. I am very pleased with it. Excellent picture quality. I've had no problems with the transport. IMO, the price/performance ratio simply cannot be beat.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
yet another vote for the CP72 . ) which in my opinion is better than rp82 ; ) heh

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Got my CP72 from Crutchfield (just under the wire, looks like they're all gone now) on Friday. I haven't yet compared the video quality to my other players, but so far I'm impressed...mainly with the feature set.

I've seen several posts in here saying that it wouldn't play random across all the discs, when in fact it absolutely does!Not only will it play random across all discs it will play random mp3s across all discs. I've only tried the MP3s I had on CD-rs, but I'm guess it would be able to read them off of DVD-Rs as well since it was able to play movies off DVD-R flawlessly.

The Sony I was using before had a little trouble reading DVD-Rs. You could hear it working like it had come across a scratched disc usually near the beginning and end of the disc. The Panasonic didn't make a peep using cheap Princo media.

I can see why people could have problems with the build quality. The changer mechanism sounds cheap while it's working, but I'm not going to worry about it unless it breaks. All my previous experience with Panasonic equipment has shown them to be very reliable, so they may have just had a bad run. In the meantime I'll just keep using that random feature and see if I can break it before the return period is up at Crutchfield.

I highly recommend this changer if you can still find it. The CP67 is more readily available and might be a viable alternative.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm really looking for a 100+ changer. Too bad Bravo doesnt come out with a Changer with DVI out!!

Flan

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If Bravo were to make a changer, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. If the D1 didn't have a DVI connection it would be sitting next to the Apex and Cyberhome players at your local Best Buy and Circuit City. I'd stick to the companies that have been making 100+ disc changers like Pioneer, Sony and Kenwood. I don't know which is the best for video quality, but your choices will be pretty limited anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it confirmed the cp-72 plays mp3s burned to dvd-r? I don't have a burner yet but would love to compress my music collection to even fewer discs...

btw another vote for the cp-72, I've had mine for about a week and am loving the svcd's even though the manual says it doesnt play them

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't see why the cp72 wouldn't recognize mp3s on dvd-r, but I haven't checked yet. I will try to remember to test it when I get home tonight. I wonder how long it would play with 5 discs full of mp3s... You can get about 10 hours on one CD, so a DVD would probably get you about 70 hours on a disc. It could run for a couple weeks :p

The only reason I think it may not would just be too many files. It handled the CD-Rs great though. After just the weekend of playing with it, it did everything I wanted it to.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Night Hawk
Is it confirmed the cp-72 plays mp3s burned to dvd-r? I don't have a burner yet but would love to compress my music collection to even fewer discs...
It doesn't play mp3s burned on dvd-r. Very few, if any players will do this.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Anyone know what brand DA converters are in the cp-72? I have narrowed down to either the cp-72 or Yamaha C-920...I already have the Sony ce-775 for SACD (It doesn't do DVD-Video)...The c920 looks like the perfect match but is twice the price as the cp72! How is the sound quality on DVD-Audio discs and CDs with the Panny cp-72?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've been very pleased with my Sony DVP-CX875P 300+1 mega changer.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...llbTG&Dept=hav

The only fault is that it autoplays on start up, but there is a fairly easy work around for this.

The picture quality is very nice, and I've seen no hint of the dreaded chroma bug.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.