AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple years trying, I've almost given up on using my HTPC with my Boxlight DLP projector.

The HTPC is erratic, irregular and bug-prone, and I get no sound because I haven't found a card that works with my Sony EP9ES processor...no matter what I do or which program I use.

I'm admitting defeat.

But fortunately the Boxlight works well with my reasonably high-end DVD player, albeit with a quality loss. I use my Sony DVP-S535D player with the Boxlight, but, well, you know the story...yellowing whites, blurry and reduced detail, and gray shadows.

But the convenience of being able to slip in a DVD into the Sony, turn on the projector and sit back with no worries or fussing, no keyboard or mousing, no reboots or juddering pans that were previously the experience with HTPC - is the ultimate for me.

One of the problems is that for the Boxlight, S-Video is the highest connection. So what DVD player can I use that will squeeze the ultimate picture from the projector with this connection? (I will be upgrading the Boxlight sometime soon though),

One proviso - because of my HTPC usage - which I've found absolutely stellar - I've become unbearably fussy about what I view. Now I've got to have the best combo that will get me close to the PQ I've experienced with HTPC.

Any thoughts from someone who has been through the mill?

Ken Silver.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On reflection maybe I should have posted this in the DVD Hardware section, since the discussion seems a lot more topical.

But my concerns are matching a DVD player like the Sony 9000ES with my projector...whereas the DVD HW fprum seems to concentrate more on the player without much reference to the projector.

I think the correlation is important because an inferior player will look good on any old 32" screen, but a 100" projected picture will show every flaw.

Tell me if I'm out of line here...

Ken Silver

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi Ken,

You're not out of line. Rather, you've come to the right forum!

I use a Boxlight projector with a Sony DVD player via S-video. The projector is a XP-5t. The DVD is a DVP-S360. Both are at the low end of the price scale. I'm very happy with my equipment.

In my experience, the picture quality is dependent upon the sum total of the components AND their ability to work well together. My projector has a good scaler, so I continue to feed it 480i via S-Video. I haven't felt too tempted to move to 480p via component because I'm doubtful that the picture quality will improve much.

Depending on your projector and all of the components that work with it, your image quality will vary. What model do you have? Maybe someone else here has the same model and can give a few suggestions on how to help you optimize your image.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I would rec. the Projection Systems PD-1100 or Movi M2000 DVD PC's, but they output via BNC....could one use some sort of transcoder to convert the signal?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

I run a Boxlight 4801 and a Sony DVP-S535D via S-video, and tweaked to the best I can get from it. And I'm far from happy.

Unfortunately I've been spoiled with HTPC. To see the vibrancy, colors and pin-sharp picture on a big screen from my PC - then to get something like a 50% quality drop from the DVD player is hard to stomach.

While I'm trying to get some DVD player opinions from experts out there, trouble is, most reviewers of players seem to use 32" or 40" RP units, and you and I know it's very hard to pick up any variances in picture quality on such a small screen unless they're major.

So I don't know that I'll get the quality I need unless I buy/try all the recommendations.

Since writing this post I've been tossing up the options. I already have a working HTPC. And buying another DVD player in the Sony 9000ES or Denon equiv range is going to cost me about NZ$3,000 (US$12-1500). To get the best from it I'll have to upgrade the Boxlight to something that has component in.

So I may still not get the quality I'm after and I'm $3k-$15k out of pocket. Maybe I should use that money instead to move my HTPC to the next level and try for a stable platform.

(Amazing how writing it out makes decisions much clearer!)

Ken Silver

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi Ken,

I did a check for the Boxlight 4801 on ProjectorCentral.com. They didn't have the 4801 on file, but they did list the specs for the 4802. I'm assuming that the 4802 is pretty similar to the 4801. Here's the link: http://projectorcentral.com/projecto...fm?part_id=342 .

I don't think that the problem is your DVD player.

If the brightness on your projector is 500 lumens and your contrast ratio is 150:1 and your projector has a SVGA chip, then I understand why the image isn't so good. The 4801 isn't able to come close in image quality to your monitor.

Newer projectors have higher brightness, contrast ratios, and resolutions. They still won't be as good as your computer monitor, but the image quality will be notably better than your 4801.

Have you considered visiting an electronics retailer that sells projectors? You can see for yourself how a newer projector looks.

This forum is a good place to get ideas and advice on how to spend lots and lots and lots of money.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

Ah yes, I'm familiar with the throw-money-at-it concept :)

Sadly you're right in all respects and I'll need to upgrade the Boxlight. But etched in my mind, still, is the superb quality I got from it regardless of the poor specs of this primitive model.

So I'm heading back to the HTPC to try my luck again.

No doubt a projector/player combo will come along at a goodly price that will be a serious contender for the quality issues, but later rather than sooner is my guess.

Glad to see you're getting a good result from yours, that's all that matters!

Ken Silver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.