AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know whats the best for gaming LCD, DLP, or Plasma? My budget is $2300. Does anyone know? My sony EDTV just died on me and I want to upgrade.

I was going to get a Samsung LN-S4096D but people are saying that DLP are better, can anyone clarify this.

I want Quality over size please help and it must be 1080p

Please help I want a new TV by friday and I dont know any gaming sites that rate HDTV for gaming.

I was looking at a 1080p Sony KDS-R50XBR2 sxrd.

Thanks everybody!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
what it comes down to is what your conditions are in your room and what you are looking for in a tv. i have a projection tv now but my next tv is going to be a 1080p lcd because i want a brighter set , with no glare, that takes up less space and can effectively double as a computer monitor. that way i can clear alot of space in my room and eliminate the problems of glare i have with my current tv. however, i dislike motion blur so i am waiting for the new 120 hz lcds to hit the market in a few months. till then, my projection tv will suffice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1005 /forum/post/0

what it comes down to is what your conditions are in your room and what you are looking for in a tv. i have a projection tv now but my next tv is going to be a 1080p lcd because i want a brighter set , with no glare, that takes up less space and can effectively double as a computer monitor. that way i can clear alot of space in my room and eliminate the problems of glare i have with my current tv. however, i dislike motion blur so i am waiting for the new 120 hz lcds to hit the market in a few months. till then, my projection tv will suffice.

Ok I narrowed my choices to

Samsung - 50" 1080p DLP HDTV HL-S5087

or

Sony KDS-R50XBR2

What you guys think? Or is there still another TV out there with better picture Quality for that price range????

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
I don't think there is anything better than the 50XBR2 currently available in that price range.

There are several nice 120Hz LCDs coming in February/March, but those would exceed your budget by $1500 or more. New 2007 models are also coming in March/April.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I would wait until the new 2007 model DLP's come out in March by Samsung.. Those will definately be in your price range and offer excellent gaming quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was also looking to get the samsung s5087W DLP, and the one reason i decided against it was after reading on this board actually...I didn't realize the costs inherent with buying a DLP...such as changing the bulb, and potentially other things such as the color wheel...

While I was able to find a good deal for the samsung around 1600 delivered to my house from an online store...if you take into account the addition of bulbs after about 8-9000 hrs and the color wheel thing...well the price paid for the tv goes up...When I buy a tv I dont want to have to worry about chaning parts on it...I want to just plug and play...

well that is my .02

For what it is worth I have decided to go with the hitachi 42HDS69...it is a plasma, and it does 1080 i not p , but I think it will be more than enough for my applications...I plan to use it for my ps3

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
skylinegtrv98, you need to keep in mind that every technology has its own pros and cons. All RP microdisplays (DLP, LCD, and LCOS) have the same bulb "problem" and the same long-term costs. Plasma uses far more electricity than the others (and thus costs you more to run day in/day out, can suffer from burn-in with gaming (although they are better than they used to be for burn-in), and will eventually (over many years) be used up, whereas a new bulb in a microdisplay gives you a brand new display. IMO, one should choose based on features and PQ rather than these other issues. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickoa1 /forum/post/0

Ok I narrowed my choices to

Samsung - 50" 1080p DLP HDTV HL-S5087

or

Sony KDS-R50XBR2

What you guys think? Or is there still another TV out there with better picture Quality for that price range????

Is there a 50" XBR2 SXRD? I thought the smallest size was 60" for the XBR2..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.