Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am building a system and want it to be HTPC compatible as I may use it for that in the future. I want to know what GeForce4 video card is the best one for an HTPC. These are two of the cards that I am looking at right now.

Suggestions are welcome.

MSI Ti4800SE-T8X 128MB DDR 8X DVI/TV AGP VGA Adapter

MSI Ti4800SE-T8X 128MB DDR 8X VIVO/DVI AGP VGA Adapter

Maybe someone can tell me what the difference is between these two cards.

What does VIVO mean?

Once again any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Jvrieger.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You may want to consider one of the MX series DDR GeForce4 cards instead. They have proved better at hardware assisted MPEG2 decoding than the Ti series (see the Fusion HDTV threads)... or a Radeon card.

VIVO means Video In, Video Out, which means the card has composite (or S-Video) in/outs for analog video capture and connection to a standard TV set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bandit64

I am not committed to the GeForce4, I am open to other cards which are withing my budget of $180 or so and below. The ASUS motherboard that I am looking at has an Nvidia chipset and that is about the only reason I started to look at Nvidia's graphics cards first.

One thing I have noticed is that many companies make GeForce graphics cards, like MSI and ASUS, are they all basically the same or is does the performance differ from card to card.

Thanks,

Jvrieger

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
With a ~$200 budget you might want to consider the Radeon 9500. Video quality is much better than nvidia cards.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Will be had from a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. Fanless and it has the best MPEG unit of all of the NVidia chips.

Best of all, it's $89 or so...

Coldie

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The DVI implementation on geforce cards is not good; typically 1280 x 1024 maximum so it won't run a hi-res pj too well.

Radeons are probably a better choice.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Radeon 9500 will be about the same speed as a good Geforce 4 for games, will have better picture quality for movies, will support interlaced modes (though not for the Windows Overlay), and supports DirectX 9 graphic effects for games and VMR9. A Geforce 4 won't support interlaced modes at all, and doesn't support DirectX 9 graphic effects, only DirectX 8.1. Thus, I'd go with a Radeon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A GeForce4 will support interlaced modes with the next released driver (within a couple of weeks).

The limit of 1280x1024 isn't a matter of "good" or "bad" that's a single channel DVI. Geforce 4(and GeForce FX) have dual channel DVI. (and can actually output 4 channels for the goofy super high res monitors out there.

I'll stick by the Geforce FX 5200 recommendation. It'll be faster than the 9500 in games and it's CHEAP!

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
coldie,

Have you ever compared your 5200 to any of the Radeon's/Older Geforce's. I'm currently running a Radeon 9500, but I've always been an nVidia fan. Plus my roommate is looking for a new card.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have both a Radeon 9700 and a GeForce4 MX (highest video performance in the GeForce series). The MX is a fine performer but the 9700 is quite a bit better, especially when it comes to banding and noise. The output looks a lot cleaner and less "electronic". The only real shortcoming of the Radeon is some ringing (similar to EE) in overlay mode.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
I'll stick by the Geforce FX 5200 recommendation. It'll be faster than the 9500 in games and it's CHEAP!
Are you on crack. The 9500 is on the order of 2x faster than the FX 5200. You need to read some reviews, the FX 5200 is even having trouble surpassing its older brother the MX440. Plus hands down image quality goes to ATI. Not only for 2D but the 9500 will allow you to realistically run Anti Aliasing in 3D, which the FX is just not capable of.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by irwincur
You need to read some reviews, the FX 5200 is even having trouble surpassing its older brother the MX440. Plus hands down image quality goes to ATI. Not only for 2D but the 9500 will allow you to realistically run Anti Aliasing in 3D, which the FX is just not capable of.
If you base your hardware judgments on "reviews", you are relying on someone else's possibly "biased opinion" for what you decide what is best for you. Go and do your own homework. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.