AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relative newbie when it comes to HD, I bought my 34inch 16X9 Toshiba tube last December, but I finaly got (when it launched here) Comcast's HD service in May of this year, so far in my location we have ABC,NBC,Showtime,HBO, and PBS. So i havn't been exposed to any HDNET content, the only sports program i have seen was one of the horse races on NBC this year, which I thought was awesome(pic quality) to say the least. I know the difference between film and video, and have seen quite a bit of HD movies on Showtime and HBO, but that horse Race was still the most impressive piece of HD I've seen yet, I also have watched the PBS Demo reel quite a bit, i think it looks nice, some nice pic quality in it, but so far if I were to demo HDTV to anyone of my friends I would have loved to have shown them the horse race on NBC. As of now without CBS or HDNET, I can't demo any sports to them so I have to show the PBS demo reel, my question to you guys is, what is the best HD expierence you've had yet, and give a little detail, share your story's with me. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
PBS, Japans Secret Garden

·
Registered
58 Posts
Band of Brothers was amazing.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
FuncoJoe,

That horse racing was some of the best. I taped it off HDNet and I use one scene with all the horses running toward the camera as part of demo stuff for friends. It looks pretty awesome on a 116" wide screen, even though the cameramen were having some problems keeping the focus on the horses. Another one I use is the "Wild Hawaii" show from HDNet, which has the best underwater scenes I've seen. The "Beauty of Japan" demo tape for the JVC 30k has some incredible images and I believe it is the highest bitrate we get. I've ordered "Ice Age" on D-Theater and I expect that to be pretty impressive.

When I show some of this stuff to other people and then tell them that I'm thinking about buying a nicer projector than my $2600 Sharp M20x they look at me like I'm crazy. I think I heard, "How can it look any better than this? And even if it could, why wouldn't this be good enough?" They don't quite understand the sickness that goes with this site :)

--Darin

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Indiana Jones movies on ABC last year.

Olympic Hockey on NBC (HDNet production)

PBS Smart Travels

I only have access to OTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp

They don't quite understand the sickness that goes with this site
lol:D it's so true

Rick

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Leno

PBS-Smart Travels

PBS-Tracks Ahead

PBS-Desert Speaks

NBC/HDnet: Olympics

HDnet: Over Canada

PBS: Over Alaska

DSC-Insectia

DSC-Great Canadian Rivers

DSC-Alien Insect - Praying Mantis

CBS-CSI (Most episodes)

CBS-Hack (some episodes)

HBO: Road to El Dorado

HBO: Gladiator

SHO: World is not Enough

( Although some DSC-HD episodes had a weird interlace problem, & some CSI show too much graininess. )

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Nobody mentioned PBS's documentary on whales (I forget the title)- spectacular! There is a scene with a feeding turtle where you'd swear he's inside your set.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
For me, it is

Discovery HD's Eco-challenge Argentina.

Regards,

·
Registered
396 Posts
Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone (HBO)

Shrek (HBO)

Smart Travels: Amsterdam (PBS)

Leno (NBC)

Georgia vs. Georgia Tech College Football (CBS)

Faith Hill Concert (NBC)

Demo Loop (PBS)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another vote for Eco-Challenge Argentina on Discovery HD Theater. The competition and the contestants are a bit goofy at times, but the scenery views are spectacular.

·
Registered
257 Posts
NBA on NBC - Dallas Mavs. vs. San Antonio Spurs.

Cuban put it together but NBC broadcast it live on a Saturday afternoon earlier in the year.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
HdNet - Toronto Maple Leafs game last year, when offered on Bev.

It wasn't so much the PQ, and it was good, but it was something I wanted to see, and HD made it like never before.

That's whats missing from HD now, 90% of the content is not worth watching.

Bugs, sitcom's, no thanks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.