AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recomend the best hd dtv receiver to buy . Will regular prgraming appear better over a non hd dtv receiver I already own a Mits 55" hd rptv

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
If I were you, I'd get the Dish 6000 with OTA module. It works very well for me. Should work very well with your Mits. It is the only DTV STB that has aspect control with 1080 and 720 signals.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, if you have DirectTV instead of Dish the Dish 6000 is not the best choice. So your question is ambiguous in that regard.

OTA digital regular programming is crystal clear even when its not HD. THere is no noise at all as long as you have a strong signal. If you don't have a strong signal you get no picture at all. Since you don't include your area we cannot know if you are even eligible to receive OTA DTV.

I live near Detroit (15 miles from the transmitters) and have DirectTV and a Toshiba DST3000. I have never regretted this decision, I think it may well be the most popular STB right now. It only outputs in 1080i which is an issue for some people.

This is a clone of the Hughes E86 and the Mitsubishi HD5. These are the same in almost all regards except apparently the Mits clone does not allow black bars.

Where are you located? You can tell what DTV stations are in your area by going to http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/. This web site is off line at the moment (who knows maybe permenantly).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
The dtc100 with the 169time mod.

dave
Dave, is your cool-aid ingested orally or by a constant intravenous drip ;)

Give the newbie a break, it is his first post. A 169 mod dtc unit is a esoteric choice at best, for some one who needs a potentially viable recording/playback system. And that assumes that one wants a early generation STB and is willing to give up on the additional functionality such as integrated AGP, is willing to take the risk that in the merger these boxes are phased out and is willing to take the risk on a untested company to modify their brand new "old" DTC that he just purchased.

My recommendation is, understand what you want to watch D*, E* or OTA only. If you are going D* + OTA, I would point you toward the Hughes e86 or OEM equivalents (TOSH, MITS and the Phillips units), this is based on my experience in owning and using a Hughes, Sony and Panny, none are perfect but IMO the Sony and Panny have too many problems for my taste and the Hughes and OEMs are faster, better integrated, don't suffer from visual defects, have a simple clean interface and they are inexpensive (relatively). Some folks like the Zenith, I have not tried it so I have no comments. The RCA has fans it has been around the longest, I have tried it out and I think it is a bit clumsy and lack functionality in the newer generation boxes and it only has a VGA out port, you would need a transcoder to support Component out.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You may want to check out http://www.***************.com/ubb/u...f=10;t=006863. This is by Andrew Sabin whose opinion I respect. I have a Zenith DTV1080 which I consider a very fine unit. Like all boxes, "it ain't perfect" but it's darn good. The next generation Zenith, HD-SAT520, posted on Zenith's website and discussed on this forum is scheduled out in August.

Tom

·
Registered
577 Posts
....I understand that you need to know what you want before you go out and try to research what is available...that being said...

I'm interested in an STB for receiving OTA signals only. I live about 35 miles outside of Chicago and have an old Winegard on my roof (hope it's in good enough shape still to use).

About my only consideration at this point of my research has been the Samsung SIR T150, an OTA only STB. With the rebate from Samsung my cost is under $450.

Am I excluding any OTA only or combo boxes for that matter that fall in the the

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomrhyne

[ This is by Andrew Sabin whose opinion I respect. . . . " However, I now enjoy my WS65857 much more for analog viewing with the great upconversion of the Zenith coupled with the more pleasing stretching modes (comparable to the Pioneer Elite). In my opinion the DTV1080 is the best match for Mits HDTVs. This receiver offers the superior upconversion and picture re-formatting as on Pioneer Elites with the uncomparable HDTV picture quality of the Mits. My formula is: Mitsubishi HDTV + Zenith DTV 1080 = better than Pioneer Elite" [/b]
I have a Elite 1000HD, presumably with the superior upconversion and picture reformatting referred to above (I love it). And I am shopping for the D* and OTA STB.

What happens when you pair the Elite with a superior upconverting unit like the Zenith. I am assuming that the STB 'overrides', at least at 1080i output. If at a different output, does the Pioneer take over? If one assumes that the writer is correct about the Elite upconverting capabilities, would I be correct in assuming that I should not worry about a STB's capabilities for non-HDTV sources because the Pioneer already does a good job? If this is the case, how does one make sure it is the Pioneer doing the upconverting and mode selection and not the STB?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Plus, keep in mind that Pioneers lock into full mode w. 1080i, which may be a problem w. the Zenith.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrislee
Plus, keep in mind that Pioneers lock into full mode w. 1080i, which may be a problem w. the Zenith.
???? What does this mean? And why would it be a problem with only the Zenith--don't all the STB's do pretty much the same thing, only that some do it better?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, I'm going to make a radical suggestion. Consider building your own with a PC and one of the HD Cards (I use the Hi-Pix card). This allows you to not only view OTA broadcasts, but also time-shift. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
would I be correct in assuming that I should not worry about a STB's capabilities for non-HDTV sources because the Pioneer already does a good job?
ugyvel,

I think the answer to the above question is yes; however, with the Format Mode Switch (1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i) on the back of the set and non switchable via the remote, you would have to route your non-HDTV inputs to the Pioneer via another input, which I assume is not a problem.

I emailed Andrew and asked him to look at this thread and respond to your questions. He or others can answer your question better than I can.

Tom

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
ugyvel:

I believe you're correct. When you drive a display at 1080i, it will show a “full-mode†picture, and its aspect ratio can’t be changed with the display’s zoom control. This is perfectly normal for all displays that I’ve seen.

Chrislee:

Please elaborate on your comment about this being a “problemâ€. Not sure what you’re getting at:confused:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Some great points are made in this thread, the main point is that each OEM's stb or tuner card has its own niche advantages and capabilities (and disadvantages) that others do not.

The top of the food chain in set top boxes will be Macro Image Technology's MDR-500 as mentioned in the previous post. It will have component, RGB and DVI-D outputs and will produce 480p, 720p, 1080i AND 1080p signals, without having to dump $4000 on an outboard scaler. (It uses a proprietary doubling chip). The MIT rep at the 2002 CES said this unit should retail for about $2000. He mentioned that they were actually soliciting for dealers at that time. I am hoping digital connection will pick up this baby, and offer it soon.

BUT......the disadvantage of this stb (notice I don't use the word satellite receiver) is just that exactly; It will ONLY reproduce OTA signals and would require a piggyback satellite receiver to get HD-HBO, HD-SHO, HD-DISCOVERY and HD-NET. So that is one pain-in-the-ass factor to consider with this unit.

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to make a radical suggestion. Consider building your own with a PC and one of the HD Cards (I use the Hi-Pix card). This allows you to not only view OTA broadcasts, but also time-shift. Just my 2 cents.
But consider the same pain-in-the-ass if you plan to use a PC tuner card (Telemann's HiPix DTV 200 or MIT's My HD MDR-100) which will not pick up satellite signals either nor allow HD passthrough.

But back to the original question: WHAT IS THE BEST STB?

Personally, I would think that depends on what your monitor will handle and what your needs are.

That leads to the next question:

Quote:
however, with the Format Mode Switch (1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i) on the back of the set and non switchable via the remote, you would have to route your non-HDTV inputs to the Pioneer via another input, which I assume is not a problem.

Does anyone know exactly which STBs will output 480p, 720p, AND 1080i? (besides the MDR-500 and the PC tuner cards)

Is the Zenith 1080 the only current model that will? I hear that it apparantly is being discontinued. Will there be a replacement model?

What about the Dish 6000? 720p AND 1080i? or just 1080i as 95% of the others do?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know exactly which STBs will output 480p, 720p, AND 1080i?
Panasonic HDS20, for one.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
ugyvel,

I'd say that using the Zenith DTV1080 in any mode other than 1080i is inadvisable. The upconversion of the Zenith is supeior to my HDTV's and any other HDTV receiver I've tried. If you wanted to use the line doubling in your Pioneer, then you'd have to change the output switch to 480i on the back of the DTV1080. 480i is outputed via the S-video out of the Zenith. I think it would be an inconvenience to change the switch from 480i to 1080i each time you wanted to watch SD and then HD. If you must use the Pioneer's line doubling, I wouldn't reccomend the Zenith.

However, it's possible that the DTV1080 meets or beats Pioneer's line doubling--atleast that's the case with my Mitsubishi. I know Pioneer has a better line doubler than Mits, so I don't know how the DTV1080 would compare. Upconverting with the Zenith has two advantages over the Pioneer, regardless of the quality of the deinterlacing:

1) Upconverting to 1080i will produce a smoother, more film-like picture because scan lines will be less visible than line doubling to 480p with the Pioneer.

2) The upconversion is performed completely in the digital/component domain. You don't have an additional digital/analog conversion as you do going from S-video 480i to 480p. This conversion can degrade the picture versus a direct upconversion from the source material.

Andrew

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here are two links describing the problem: http://www.***************.com/ubb/u...;f=20;t=000442

http://www.***************.com/ubb/u...;f=20;t=001070

Specifically: lifo is correct that show produced and broadcast in HD are 16x9 and will look exactly as they are supposed to in Full Mode.

Unfortunately, just because the signal is being digitally broadcasted on a digital channel doesn't automatically mean that is it HD. Broadcast stations are required to transmit digital signals, not HD. While the networks are producing true HD shows, many local stations are simply converting their local and non-HD productions to digital format and retransmitting them on their digital channel.

Those shows were not filmed or taped in HD or 16x9 and will look distorted when the TV detects the 1080i input and locks into Full mode. This is part of the reason why STBs have a switch that allows you to chenge to output mode of the STB to 480i, 480p or 540p, depending on the model.

So I'll have to run a component run for all hd, and then switch to svideo for any sd image to be viewed normally. At least this is the way I understand it right now. In fact I asked Pioneer about dvi and their sets.

If interested, heres the q and a: Thanks for contacting Pioneer Electronics

For the current sets, future connectivity will be made through some type of set-top box (Satellite reciever or Digital Cable box) and then the signal sent to the monitor over standard component video connections.

1394 has its bandwidth limitations, so it is not the answer for HD content.

DVi consumer standards have not been finalized, probrably with-in the next year.

--Original Message--

Inquiry Type: Hook up and Operation

1stPublishers: 0001

1stTitles: B00001

Inquiry: Dear Pioneer,

I just recently purchased a Pioneer 533 hdtv and am quite pleased with it so far with ota and dss signals.

I now have looked into getting a Zenith 1080 hd reciever (with component outputs and Directv). Great! Perfect! But then I learned that Directv and Dish are going to only output thru DVI this summer/fall. So then I'd only be able to get downconverted 480p instead of 1080i hd programming! That's includes quite a bit of hd programming I'd loose. I hate DVI and it's implications. But I also can't believe that I'd loose the ability to view hd dss sources with a new $800 hd reciever AND my new $3200 Pioneer 533! Wow!

Can you please relieve my anxiety about this? :)

I'd really like an answer that's similar to Mitsubishis ability to add on a module when/if needed. I purchased the Pioneer over the Mits cause it had a much better picture and line doubler. I didn't pay much attention to this stupid DVI issue. So what's Pioneer's stand?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Chrislee:

Quote:
Those shows were not filmed or taped in HD or 16x9 and will look distorted when the TV detects the 1080i input and locks into Full mode. This is part of the reason why STBs have a switch that allows you to chenge to output mode of the STB to 480i, 480p or 540p, depending on the model.
Interesting, sounds like this just applies to OTA, though. It doesn’t work that way on satellite. If a satellite channel broadcasts a 4:3 picture on its HD channel and the satellite receiver is set to output 1080i, then the display will receive a 4:3 picture with bars on each side and the picture isn’t distorted.

I have a Sony HD-100 satellite receiver, with the variable 480i/1080i feature, connected to the component inputs of a Pioneer 50†plasma. The automatic switching is a great feature, perhaps one of the better ones on the Sony.

As for the Sony receiver itself, I don’t think it should be overlooked if one can still be found. I’ve had one for several months, with all of the latest fixes, and have no problem with it at all:D. My use is strictly satellite, though, so maybe OTA is a different matter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.