AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have normal comcast service, planning on getting a HDTV, so I checked their programs for HDTV and wasn't very pleased to find only 40:|

I need one that gives: ADC Family, Nick, Cartoon Network, TBS, Discovery, IN HD, and if possible one that has an on-demand feature like comcast (I

·
Registered
232 Posts
Based on the channels you requested (with the exception of INHD which has been discontinued) as well as your need for Video on demand, you might want to settle with Directv.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudaman33 /forum/post/15482260

(with the exception of INHD which has been discontinued)

****, that was my favorite channel too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudaman33 /forum/post/15482260

you might want to settle with Directv.

alright thanks, i'll check it out.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 /forum/post/15482061

I currently have normal comcast service, planning on getting a HDTV, so I checked their programs for HDTV and wasn't very pleased to find only 40:|

I need one that gives: ADC Family, Nick, Cartoon Network, TBS, Discovery, IN HD, and if possible one that has an on-demand feature like comcast (I

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg /forum/post/15482414

Come try out Time Warner Northeast Ohio. We have 10 HD channels + 4 HD Tier channels.

I'd sell a kidney, a lung and part of my liver to have have only 40 channels!

I feel for you. 14 HD channels in early 2009 is pathetic. Is satellite not an option for you?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15482105

The best provider is the one that has the channels you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/15482524

This is the correct answer.

If I may add one more stipulation, I will agree:

The best provider is the one that has the channels you want, at a price that you believe those channels are worth.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
Ack! Two independent variables!?!?! That makes things so much more complicated!

(Then you get the folks who will say that they want Provider A's channels for Provider B's prices! LOL!
)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/15482874

Ack! Two independent variables!?!?! That makes things so much more complicated!

(Then you get the folks who will say that they want Provider A's channels for Provider B's prices! LOL!
)

Ha, yes.

And sometimes one has to realize that the channels he "wants" are not worth the price required to have them. Everything is a business decision. If "perceived benefit" > cost, then buy. If not, then don't buy. That doesn't stop many people from making poor decisions every day though...

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 /forum/post/15482935

Ha, yes.

And sometimes one has to realize that the channels he "wants" are not worth the price required to have them. Everything is a business decision. If "perceived benefit" > cost, then buy. If not, then don't buy. That doesn't stop many people from making poor decisions every day though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/15482945

... and complaining that they've made such poor decisions.

That's somewhat true, but it depends on the market.

Most anyone can walk into their nearby Walmart, K-Mart, Target or local Mom and Pop operation and have a choice of a wide range of consumer goods. If they don't like the perceived value vs. quality vs. features, they can go somewhere else or buy something else.

However, for the guy living a North-facing apartment in a market with weak OTA, he may be limited to a pitiful selection of channels on an outdated cable service - for which he's paying as much as myself or others who get a great lineup.

I'd say, the above situation would offer a valid reason to complain.

While there's no reason he couldn't do without, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least a reasonable level of service and selection.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15483630

However, for the guy living a North-facing apartment in a market with weak OTA ...

I'd say, the above situation would offer a valid reason to complain.

To God perhaps. Cable companies are not responsible for the limitations of satellite providers or OTA broadcasters, and your proviso was conditional on those limitations, which were not the cable company's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15483630

While there's no reason he couldn't do without, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least a reasonable level of service and selection.

Why not demand OTA broadcasters place antennas closer to where one lives?
Or satellite broadcasters innovate a way to offer their service to north-facing apartments?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger /forum/post/15482595

I feel for you. 14 HD channels in early 2009 is pathetic. Is satellite not an option for you?

I think he's in the same boat as me...friggin' trees. I too am saddled w/ the suck that is TimeWarner in NE Ohio. Although I get a whopping 20 (including locals) + 5 in the HD Tier ($5 more a month)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
Enough of the off topic philosophizing.

First, see this topic for a list of what the national providers offer:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081

Second, the HDTV Local Forum has topics for each TV market in the country. Check for your local area, to see if other providers (Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-verse) are available.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woah guys, I just want my spongebob in HD, stop confusing me

Oh, thanks for that link Ken H, it says "Nickelodeon Announced" For Comcast, so that must mean their planning on bringing the service soon! 41 channels woot!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 /forum/post/15505232

Woah guys, I just want my spongebob in HD, stop confusing me

Oh, thanks for that link Ken H, it says "Nickelodeon Announced" For Comcast, so that must mean their planning on bringing the service soon! 41 channels woot!

Not necessarily, Comcast offers different channels regionally. So for instance, NYC may get Nick and Nashville won't get it until a year later. Basically, Comcast does not nationally launch a channel, only regionally which will dictate if you get the channel you want.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
Well, I think, more properly -- Comcast does launch new channels nationally, signing licensing agreements and making the channel available, perhaps, through its HITS, and then, after that, makes it available regionally.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 /forum/post/15482061

I need one that gives: ADC Family, Nick, Cartoon Network, TBS, Discovery, IN HD, ....

Many of these providers' "HD" services do not, in fact, show much HD programming at all. What's worse, services like TBS pre-stretch or pan-and-scan their SD content to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio. I'd suggest browsing a few threads here about the channels you want the most to see if their "HD" services are really HD.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei /forum/post/15505968

What's worse, services like TBS pre-stretch or pan-and-scan their SD content to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Yeah, I hate that. TNT does the same thing. I guess they're trying to look out for Plasma owners.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts