AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Samsung receiver. It works ok but I find I continuously need to change the video output based on the channel I am watching. Unfortunately, in order to do that, I need to flip a switch which is located in the back of the unit.

While I still have time to return the unit, I was wondering if there was anything better on the market. Especially if there was a box which would allow better and easier control of picture size.

Marshall

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The real answer is that there really isn't a receiver on the market that is perfect (or close), so you'll need to decide on which problems you are willing to live with and which features you are most concerned about. As as far as the output switching issue, the Panasonic and Sony have modes that will switch output based on the input received, but each has other problems. I recall a thread in the last couple months that gave a pretty good rundown of the major problems/benefits of each of the models, so a search would be a good idea. If you have questions after you've searched, I'm sure you can get some additional input with more specific questions.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I doubt anyone can give you an objective answer to your question, but we can tell you our opinion based on experience. I have both the Mitsubishi SR-HD5 and RCA DTC-100, and while both have their + and - points, in my opinion, the Mits is the better of the 2 tuners. Image -wise, they are = but features-wise and ease-of-use, Mits is slightly better.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If control of video output format and aspect ratio from the remote is the criteria, you have a few choices.

The Hughes/Mits/Toshiba receiver upconverts everything to 1080i but has aspect ratio control when the source is 480i to give you stretch, zoom and normal mode with gray bars.

The RCA DTC-100 is similar but upconverts to 540p.

The Sony HD100 has a variable mode where 480i is passed through but everything else is upconverted to 1080i, this allows your TV's aspect ratio controls to work when viewing 480i sources. The Sony has no aspect ratio control itself.

The Panasonic has a native mode where everything is passed through as received, but this is a problem if you are watching ABC at 720p and your TV doesn't handle 720p, and format switching is on the box not on the remote. It also has a hybrid mode where 480i is converted to 480p and everything else to 1080i, similar to the Sony but your TV's aspect ratio controls probably still won't work with a 480p source.

Note that each of these receivers has other issues discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Tony

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The way I look at this question I look at it in 3 ways:

1) --If you use RGB cables then the RCA DTC-100 is for you.

2) --If you use Component cables then on of the many receivers: Hughes, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Sony, Panasonic, etc.

3) --If want to have a name brand or want to have matching brands then get what ever looks/feels right.

PS-- I ordered the Toshiba DST-3000 just minutes ago from John over at Video Only for only $465.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have tried the Sony HD100, the RCA DTV100 and the Toshiba DST3000. I'm happiest with the Toshiba, although the RCA is also a good choice. Although the Sony autoswitches between 480p and 1080i automatically, based on the signal, the Sony has lip synch problems in certain markets and is a bit slow. The toshiba switches between modes based upon the output selected which is on the remote control, but I found that if yo use the component output and let it convert everything to 1080i, you don't really need the SVideo output, just keep in on the component output.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.