AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an incredible bargain projector at a Garage sale last weekend, a Sony VPH-2020Q foR (Get This) 50$ !!! :D I broughT it home, and it works perfectly, except, after doing research on the unit, I realized that it only scans up to 16 kHz Horizontal :eek: , which means I cant use a line doubler.

It has composite input, which produces a not so optimal image, and RGB (5 connectors).

My question is:

What can I do to get the best possible picture out of this thing? Can I use an HTPC with this? Can I buy some kind of converter to utilize the RGB input and squeeze the best possible picture from a dvd player (Composite out or svideo out)? Im not very picky, but ive been testing this with a vcr through the composite, and the picture is not exactly that good. It's bright enough, and the colors are correct. On certain scenes where peoples faces are close up, the picture looks ok, but on complicated scenes, the background gets kind of blurry

I believe I have converged it properly, (I followed the manual), and that the focus and distance is correct.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Get a good NSTC decoder. That will give you nice NTSC

·
Registered
496 Posts
1) Use the smallest screen recommended. Smaller screen=closer spaced scan lines. It will also cram more video information into a given area, giving the impression of more detail. I would suggest a 70-80" diag.

2) I think this PJ has only composite and RGB, so use a SVIDEO>RGB converter. Even w/ the converter it will give a (much, IMO) better pic then composite.

3) See other posts on squashing the 10xx PJs for 16:9, then play only anamorphic DVDs unless you dont mind distorted 4:3. (When I watch 4:3 the distortion doesnt bother me at all, but then I dont watch much 4:3...) Squahing the pic, combined with a smallish screen, will move the scan lines close enough together to hardly be noticed under most normal conditions.

4) If you have the service manual, do a full calibration and registration. Adjusting the magnets on the CRT will give a sharper pic since the beam spot will be tighter. Carefull though, its easy to make it worse if you dont closely follow the manual. Plan on this process taking the better part of the day if it is your first go round. You will want to do it once or twice to get the feel for things and truly optimize the PJ.

Let us know how you make out. We all know the 10xx units arent the best any more, but for what they are they can be made to perform VERY well if enough time/tweaking is applied.

--Kieth

If the genie comes out don't blame me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Kieth:

I tried the smaller screen before reading your post, and you were right. Logically it definitely looks sharper and brighter. An SVideo > RGB converter would be my next step.

I do have the service manual. Iv'e done the full calibration and registration. I managed to get it perfect once, but since I moved the PJ closer, I have to do it all over again - which is good so that will get used to it.

I'm not sure what you mean by adjusting the magnets. Did you mean adjusting the focus of the CRT tubes? Or are there magnets somewhere there that I haven't seen yet?

Jim:

I'm assuming that the NTSC decoder you had in mind is the same kind of device that Keith was sugesting.... correct? If not, do you have any brands of NTSC decoders that I can look up? I did a search on the Net for NTSC decoders, and all I got were specs, PDFs, and Texas Instruments Chips - nothing that's for sale.....

Thanks again!

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
There are magnets around the tube necks. If you move them you change how and where the electron beam hits the phospher area, not to mention the thickness of the beam as well. You will either make the projector better or WAY worse if you dont know what your doing.

Also, if you decide to play around back there be carefull theres about 10,000 volts running through those tubes !!!!! need I say more?

Myself, I would problably run S video and be happy with that projector since it is limited. Good buy though. If you think about it I bet you can sell the tubes alone for more then you paid for the entire projector and pick up a 1031Q. It can scan to 36Hz and this will allow you to do line doubling.

I just picked up another 1031Q and expect it in a few days. Let me know if you are interested and Ill give you the run down when I see what kind of shape its in.

[email protected]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vic,

I am definitely interested, but I am on a very tight budget with this thing... It's hard to explain to the wife why I am shelling out cash just so I can plug my computer into the projector (or worse - telling her I am getting a new projector so I can buy a NEW line doubler!!). Would you be interested in buying the tubes? or even a trade? Let me know how it turns out and what you want for it... Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just enjoy it ;p As for screen size.... 70-80" ? Nah..... I'd only do that with a 8"..... go for a 50"-60" and move the couch a bit close..... same diff.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Snaggs-

I could be wrong (certainly wouldnt be the first time) but I think on the 1020 it wouldnt focus/converge much below 70 inches... I dont know about anyone else, but given the work that goes into a CRT setup compared to the relative ease with which one can acquire a 45" RPTV, I would need more than a 5 or 10" diag increase to justify hanging a PJ from the ceiling, screen from the wall, painting the room black, etc... :)

Okay, so Im 2 for 3, I havent painted the room black...yet! :-O

--Kieth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.