AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What's the best mobo to use for either one of the following combos in order to get best bluray playback?:

Intel CPU/Mobo with ATI chipset (including manufacturer/model) ?

Intel CPU/Mobo with Nvidia chipset (including manufacturer/model) ?

· Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by consequential /forum/post/16856788

Hi all,

What's the best mobo to use for either one of the following combos in order to get best bluray playback?:

Intel CPU/Mobo with ATI chipset (including manufacturer/model) ?

Intel CPU/Mobo with Nvidia chipset (including manufacturer/model) ?

Dude, the answer was there in your other post. Read through posts and understand before making new ones.

Anyway, ATI is owned by AMD so there is no ATI/AMD chipset for Intel CPUs.

As for Nvidia, the GeForce 9300/9400 is the HD capable IGP chipset for Intel.

Asus (9300) & Gigabyte (9400) are a good choice.

The 9300/9400 are expensive though, close to twice the 780G/8200.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry

· Registered
16,749 Posts
IMHO you will be much better of not buying a MOBO with an integrated GPU.

A standalone Graphics card gives you more options as far as available display ouput options, more GPU power available etc. and I don't think it will cost you any significant amount more.

· Registered
1,111 Posts
I disagree, you can get an integrated motherboard and always upgrade to a video card solution later on (like the Gigabyte 4850 1GB fanless one). If you need or want to take the video card out later on, you still have the IGP.

· Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC /forum/post/16857075

I disagree, you can get an integrated motherboard and always upgrade to a video card solution later on (like the Gigabyte 4850 1GB fanless one). If you need or want to take the video card out later on, you still have the IGP.

You have to weigh the cost of a video card vs. amount of memory required for flawless playback. For instance I found Taken on BD would stutter in TMT3 with 4GB or 5GB of DDR2 1066 memory. Once it bumped up to 6GB it played fine. This is with Vista 64 Ultimate and a BD backup from a gigE server (with protection) using AnyDVD HD to decode.

MB is Gigabyte 9400 integrated MB. So the cost of additional memory "can" be higher when considering DDR3.

In all of our Vista PCs we start with 8GB of ram to eliminate issues. The PC we discovered the problem with was a custom PC the customer put together. We also use Quad Cores only as they have come down in price. Dual Cores will work. It really depends on all the other software you have loaded as to what you need.

For instance with Hardware Acceleration "on", the CPU cycles on a 6700 Dual Core was around 15%. With acceleration "off" it hovered around 60% with peaks up to 77%. Both played Taken BD fine with 6GB of RAM.

· Registered
592 Posts
I'm able to play that BR movie back flawlessly on my HTPC with a low-end C2D CPU with 1GB of RAM using ATI DXVA bit-streaming. The CPU usage is always under 15% with anything I've thrown at it that is able to bit-stream. I've yet to encounter a single movie that has given me any trouble short of any DRM related nonsense with this machine.

· Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC /forum/post/16861466

You have to weigh the cost of a video card vs. amount of memory required for flawless playback. For instance I found Taken on BD would stutter in TMT3 with 4GB or 5GB of DDR2 1066 memory. Once it bumped up to 6GB it played fine. This is with Vista 64 Ultimate and a BD backup from a gigE server (with protection) using AnyDVD HD to decode.

MB is Gigabyte 9400 integrated MB. So the cost of additional memory "can" be higher when considering DDR3.

In all of our Vista PCs we start with 8GB of ram to eliminate issues. The PC we discovered the problem with was a custom PC the customer put together. We also use Quad Cores only as they have come down in price. Dual Cores will work. It really depends on all the other software you have loaded as to what you need.

For instance with Hardware Acceleration "on", the CPU cycles on a 6700 Dual Core was around 15%. With acceleration "off" it hovered around 60% with peaks up to 77%. Both played Taken BD fine with 6GB of RAM.

With all due respect, what the heck are you talking about?

I have 2 Single-Core P4s that I use for HD playback.

[1] 2.4 GHz HT (800 FSB), 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200, yes you read it right), AGP HD 2400 OC

[2] 3.06 GHz HT (533 FSB), 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200), AGP HD 2400

They have played every Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movie I have thrown at them.

They are connected over a 100 Mbps network and no stuttering whatsoever.

Both run Vista btw.

I also have a AMD X2 dual-core with a 780G IGP, no probs whatsoever.

All you need for HD playback is a graphics chip with HD decoding capability and software to take advantage of it.

If its Linux, or XP then they have their own issues. With Vista it works without a hitch.

IMO, anything over a dual-core is overkill if you are only using it for HD playback.

But again; to each his own, whatever works best for you.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
my living room htpc is using Asus's P5Q-EM (Intel's G45 chipset) + E8400 CPU (mainly for non HA'ed material). in my HT, I'm using Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H + E8400. and in my bedroom, I'm using a E6600 + ATI 2600Pro video card. all of them have flawless bluray playback.

btw, as long as you have a HA enable graphic solution (onboard or discreet), any modern dual core (Conroe/C2D class, even an old HT'ed P4) should have no problem!

· Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl /forum/post/16861766

Intel e8400 cpu, Intel DP35DP motherboard, PNY GEFORCE 8500 GT video card, and Vista

this may or may not be the "best"

I recently picked up the PNY Geforce 8500GT at staples for $18 on clearance, is this card really up to the task for HTPC use?

· Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/16861783

With all due respect, what the heck are you talking about?

I have 2 Single-Core P4s that I use for HD playback.

[1] 2.4 GHz HT (800 FSB), 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200, yes you read it right), AGP HD 2400 OC

[2] 3.06 GHz HT (533 FSB), 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200), AGP HD 2400

They have played every Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movie I have thrown at them.

They are connected over a 100 Mbps network and no stuttering whatsoever.

Both run Vista btw.

I also have a AMD X2 dual-core with a 780G IGP, no probs whatsoever.

All you need for HD playback is a graphics chip with HD decoding capability and software to take advantage of it.

If its Linux, or XP then they have their own issues. With Vista it works without a hitch.

IMO, anything over a dual-core is overkill if you are only using it for HD playback.

But again; to each his own, whatever works best for you.

Do me a favor and rent "Taken" on Bluray and watch it with TMT3Platinum and see if it stutters with it temporarily ripped to your HD and use the latest AnyDVD HD for playback. It will stutter. I was in disbelief as well. Other movies played just fine from the server at 4GB of RAM. What you don't realize is the software running in the background can make a significant difference. I was watching the Task Manager memory resource and it seemed awfully low 53MB free of ram. At 2GB it would go to zero. 4GB seemed to work, until Taken BD was used. It required 6GB to play smoothly with HA turned on or off with an integrated motherboard. CPU is fine. I can only report what was witnessed. When we sell systems, we take into account "other" programs that the client may find a way of installing. Not only does this violate our terms of use, but all service calls are at a billable rate vs. free. If they want to use their own system, they can, but we don't work on it for free should problems arise due to the customer making unauthorized modifications.

When it's your computer you can use whatever setup you can. When it doesn't work or has a hitch it's on you. As an enthusiast with liquid cooling and extreme gaming I understand there are risks as well as learning curves of what works, what doesn't. When you sell something and state it does something... it had better. Otherwise you have the potential of a service nightmare on your hands (read lots of free labor for client). To avoid this we overbuild our systems. Does a customer need an Intel SSD in RAID-0? No... but they sure do appreciate it when everything springs into action almost instantly. We do not cater to the entry level computer segment. Our systems are all about performance and reliability.

· Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC /forum/post/16862590

Do me a favor and rent "Taken" on Bluray and watch it with TMT3Platinum and see if it stutters with it temporarily ripped to your HD and use the latest AnyDVD HD for playback. It will stutter. I was in disbelief as well. Other movies played just fine from the server at 4GB of RAM. What you don't realize is the software running in the background can make a significant difference. I was watching the Task Manager memory resource and it seemed awfully low 53MB free of ram. At 2GB it would go to zero. 4GB seemed to work, until Taken BD was used. It required 6GB to play smoothly with HA turned on or off with an integrated motherboard. CPU is fine. I can only report what was witnessed. When we sell systems, we take into account "other" programs that the client may find a way of installing. Not only does this violate our terms of use, but all service calls are at a billable rate vs. free. If they want to use their own system, they can, but we don't work on it for free should problems arise due to the customer making unauthorized modifications.

Why would you assume the solution to the problem is to just throw lots of money at hardware? 6GB of memory is extraordinary overkill to watch HD movies. If you have an issue with 4GB of memory watching Taken on Blu Ray, then the issue is with software, not hardware. (Whether that software is your Vista configuration, spyware, crappy Blu Ray playback software, etc, would require troubleshooting). But, I can play Blu Ray discs just fine with 2GB of memory (as can everyone else here apparently).

· Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Do me a favor and rent "Taken" on Bluray and watch it with TMT3Platinum and see if it stutters with it temporarily ripped to your HD and use the latest AnyDVD HD for playback.

I have seen 'Taken' on Blu-Ray and hence my post, albeit I use PowerDVD8 and not TMT.

But I understand where you are coming from.

If you are selling these then you want to minimize user interference and want to have room on the top for unknown problems.

· Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99TA /forum/post/16862626

Why would you assume the solution to the problem is to just throw lots of money at hardware? 6GB of memory is extraordinary overkill to watch HD movies. If you have an issue with 4GB of memory watching Taken on Blu Ray, then the issue is with software, not hardware. (Whether that software is your Vista configuration, spyware, crappy Blu Ray playback software, etc, would require troubleshooting). But, I can play Blu Ray discs just fine with 2GB of memory (as can everyone else here apparently).

This was a system a customer built himself. So I was asked to make it work. Based on basic troubleshooting I confirmed that on this particular system, it required 6GB or RAM. Going back to 4GB or 5GB the movie would stutter again. Putting it back to 6GB it worked just fine. I personally don't care for integrated motherboards due to the sharing of memory. I miss the days of Xp with 3GB of memory and everything just worked.

At 4GB PowerDVD 9 Ultra played it just fine btw. So yes it is software related. But again; I was hired to make this system work. Adding more RAM took care of the customer's issue.

· Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC /forum/post/16862590

Do me a favor and rent "Taken" on Bluray and watch it with TMT3Platinum and see if it stutters with it temporarily ripped to your HD and use the latest AnyDVD HD for playback. It will stutter.

Nope, my HTPC uses 2GB RAM and I recently watched the "Taken" BD without any hiccups using TMT3. Your PC must have another problem.

· Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoe /forum/post/16866883

Nope, my HTPC uses 2GB RAM and I recently watched the "Taken" BD without any hiccups using TMT3. Your PC must have another problem.

I love posts like this. So you have the exact hardware and software huh? Why don't you post something useful and list your specs. Were you using the disc or a protected iso? There are so many factors that one can not use a blanket statement that mine works with "x" while another person owns "y". If these were macs than we would a closer Apple to Apple comparison (pun intended).

What was wrong with this pc was that it did not have enough memory to play Taken BD as an ISO and everything else in background. That is what the customer wanted. That is what the customer got. Simple really.

My point was about considering memory cost vs. a dedicated video card. Buy what you need.

· Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC /forum/post/16867209

I love posts like this. So you have the exact hardware and software huh? Why don't you post something useful and list your specs. Were you using the disc or a protected iso? There are so many factors that one can not use a blanket statement that mine works with "x" while another person owns "y". If these were macs than we would a closer Apple to Apple comparison (pun intended).

What was wrong with this pc was that it did not have enough memory to play Taken BD as an ISO and everything else in background. That is what the customer wanted. That is what the customer got. Simple really.

My point was about considering memory cost vs. a dedicated video card. Buy what you need.

I feel your pain. I've been lost regarding what to do about my HULU stutter. It kills me to hear people with low spec. PCs get perfectly smooth playback. However, no one can tell me the magic ingredient to playback.

I guess we're at the mercy of BIOS and drivers. It would be nice to know exact PC specs for systems that work without issues.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.