AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the preferred cable strategy to connect a VGA/RGBHV source to a projectors VGA/RGBHV input 40 feet away?

1. Breakout cables on both ends and (5) RG6 cables in between.

2. One high quality VGA/RGBHV cable.

Murray

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aw, c'mon, give me a good solution.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Provided the breakout cables and RG6 cables used BNC connectors between them, this would clearly have the higher capacity. However, if the VGA cable at 40' was "good enough", the additional capacity of the RG6 might not make any difference. Someone who knows more than me will have to provide that info.

You can get both solutions from www.bluejeanscables.com

I believe that they recommend going the RG6 way at distances exceeding 15'

Glenn

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 2 runs of about 45 ft of Extron "mini hi-rez" which has five internal high bandwidth conductors. This allows me to run RGBHV off one and component plus S-video off the other. I ran the cable on the recommendation of Definitive Audio in Seattle; they did the terminations which are a proprietary BNC connector supplied by Extron, since it requires special tools. Extron also makes BNC to RGB cinvertors, and BNC to S-video convertors. This permits you to run less cable with more options.

See this link for details: http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=bnc5hrc

Peter

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
40' is by no means a long run. Any good quality coax cable will be fine. There are also plenty of VGA Cables out there that have the same quality Coax as you would find in a seperate RGBHV bundle as well. Call any of the PRO av dealers in your area. a 50' VGA or RGBHV 5 wire lists for about 100$

If you want to go really crazy, got for an RG6 equivalent. THe extron version lists for 330$ but there are also plenty of other types out there. But the smaller cable should be fine.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw where Canare and Ultralink both have 10 meter/32.8 foot VGA solutions and some longer as well.

I plan to run a full complement of cables to my Infocus SP7200 because I won't be up in the ceiling anytime soon.

2 sets - Y,Pb,Pr - Canare V-5CFB cable and connectors

2 set - composite - Canare V-5CFB cable and connectors

2 sets - S-Video - Ultralink ULVS10M

1 set - Infocus M1A - DVI-HDCP

1 set - VGA - Canare 5VDC10-1.5C

I am going to check out the links and sugvgestions you guys made.

I know the goal would be a single cable for everything, like the DWIN, but, better safe than sorry.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
 www.pccables.com has guarantee not to ghost even at 50 feet. However, it's only triple (RGB) coax and not 5 coax like other high quality cables. Of course H and V does not need as much shielding IMHO. You can always get a VGA booster to make sure you don't lose any signal strength. Try not to be near any flourescent light fixture or electrical lines. If you do have to cross some try to do it at 90 degree angle. Wrapping your cables with aluminum heating/cooling tape will also shield out interfernce (or a metal conduit). It's best to run your current cables through a 2-3" flexible conduit to allow future cabling pulls in case the technology changes.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Huey,

Can you recommend a good 2-3" flexible conduit?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
52 Posts
Flexible is available in larger sizes at commercial electrical supply stores and goes by the generic name of " smurf tubing". It's blue in color and comes by the foot on large spools. A common brand is Carlon, but I looked all over the Seattle area, and the largest diameter I could find was 2". I did a major AV wiring project in my own house, and used a lot of both rigid and flexible conduit where I could for future proofing. The best way , if you can , is to run the empty conduit along side of the cable runs so you can fill it as you need, and size it for the largest conductor you think you may need- DVI at present, because of the plug sizes. It is easier to pull wire through rigid grey PVC conduit, but a real pain to put that in unless it is new construction.

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.