AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

I am looking for a media player that will play all files types via pc's ps3 media server.

the samsung c6900 handled everything until DTS HD MA came out .

so i tried new samsung's (various models) they all lose connection about every 25 min with ps3ms and about every hour with netflix (bad wifi in new models just google it and youll see) not counting the cinavia.

now i have WDtv live whitch is pretty good has DTS MA passthrough and plays most everything keeps wifi connection but sucks at mp4's .

i know that i can use mkvtoolsnix to remux each mp4 to mkv in just a few seconds , but that becomes a pain after awhile.

i just want something that will play everything without having to transcode on the fly or having to remux. (DTS MA passthrough is acceptable).

i would like to stay under 4-5 bills.

will any of these fit the bill

dune hd 3d base

popcorn hour

mede8ter

please help i ve spent alot of time buying tons of devices taking home only to have to return them the next day.

P.S. i dont care about the services or apps only dlna playback compatibility

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by william77  /t/1519100/whats-the-best-media-player-now-2014#post_24389591

now i have WDtv live whitch is pretty good has DTS MA passthrough and plays most everything keeps wifi connection but sucks at mp4's .
How's that? The files I've encoded run just fine but usually I go with MKV cause MP4s don't support DTS nor PGS subs (and I really can't be bothered to OCR them into SRT).

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
WD should be able to play MP4's just fine, but if you want to try a streamer built around a Realtek chip instead, try Mede8er X2 or X3 series. I find RTD1185 and 1186 chips more forgiving at less-than-ideally authored videos than Sigma chips. Just IMHO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sry took awhile to respond

MP4's play fine on wdtv live but i cant rewind of fast forward them they will just stop and i have about 300 mp4's that came from various sources and not a single one will fast forward or rewind and the timeline (length) of all of them say 18:00 minutes no matter what length they are , but they will continue to play past 18 min as long as i dont attempt to fast forward or rewind.

i dont understand how u guys dont have the same issue cause i have 2 Wd tv live with 2 different firmware and they both do this with all mp4's.

i'm a little hard of hearing and i need to be able to rewind my mp4's without having to remux into mkv

if it will play mp4's and rewind them i will try the mede8ter

and are u guys sure your wd tv live can rewind mp4's fine ?

p.s. i stream all my files via ps3ms or samsung allshare maybe it has to do with dlna'ing mp4's i never use usb

thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i figured it out via usb WDTV plays mp4's fine and will rewind them perfect ...so i think when ps3ms serves a file it checks to see if the player or streamer is compatible with the video/audio codecs in container .if the player for example the ps3 cant play mkv's so ps3ms attempts to transcode video so the player will play it.

so somewhere along the way ps3ms thinks WDTV live cant handle the mp4's and transcodes while playing video. this makes fast forward and rewinding video unstable.

anyone know why this is happening ?

ps3ms dosent transcode mp4's sent to any other devices ive used only when using WDTV live.

please help cause i like wdtv and using ps3ms.

Thanks

SOLVED : PS3MS > Transcoding Settings > Skip transcode for the following extensions: [mp4,m4v] >[Save] > [Quit] >

That was so easy now i feel like an idiot ..

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I don't really understand why you are using PS3MS to begin with. WDTV should be able to handle everything you've got. All you need to do is show the WDTV where your movie shares are at.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am in the same boat with the OP. Shopping for my first media player. I built a "free NAS" box myself recently and want a good player to access mostly video files and movies on the NAS. A friend of mine recommended the KDLINKS HD720 which appears to be pretty good at playing everything. The problem I am reading about with the KDLINKS is that the data transfer rate over LAN is very slow, even though it advertises a 1Gb ethernet port, it can only really do 100mbps.

So after running searches in this forum, I've also run into the players mentioned by the OP (PCH, mede8er, etc). I was hoping for recommendations. Do any of these have a transfer rate better than the KDLINKS. How do they compare in terms of supporting the most video formats. Also, I've searched for these players on Amazon and they don't appear to be available? So who sells them in US?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I use a SageTV HD300 Media Player for file playback of .mkv (and .iso) Blu-Ray Rips.

Lately I have found a lot of file incompatibility with the SageTV HD300 insofar as VLC will playback virtually all .mkv BD ripped files while the SageTV HD300 fails to playback 10-20% of the time.

My files are primarily .mkv Blu-Ray Rips.

I vastly prefer the HW Decoding of a media player such as the SageTV HD300 over a PC's SW Decoding with VLC or equivalent.

So, I am in the market for a new Media Player that would be an upgrade to the HD300 that would have universal file compatibility (all 5.1/7.1 DTS and Dolby HD and Master formats).

What is the best and most compatible trouble free Media Player available?

RealTek vs. Sigma Chip based Media Players?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm basically in the same boat as OP and others in the thread apparently.

This looks promising but spendy; Popcornhour A-410 -- http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/popcornhour/a-410

I've got a Synology DS-1813+ NAS and just starting to get into reading about how to rip my Blu-Ray discs. Thinking about full-rip .m2ts/.iso format.

It's just going to serve the shows to some kind of media player, no transcoding on the NAS, but which one of the many out there?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Not sure why more people don't use laptops for their media playback duties. Got my I3 last year for $240ish and it plays everything I throw at it thru the awesome XBMC interface.Just a thought. Even a NUC in this price range I assume would beat just about any media player out there.

Reactions: nicenicenicee

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie  /t/1519100/whats-the-best-media-player-now-2014#post_24454801

Not sure why more people don't use laptops for their media playback duties. Got my I3 last year for $240ish and it plays everything I throw at it thru the awesome XBMC interface.Just a thought. Even a NUC in this price range I assume would beat just about any media player out there.

To many reasons to list. Terrible 23.976 fps support. In fact 99% of htpcs dont handle it. Only the newest intel nuc finally has a fix for 23.976. The PQ is not the same unless you run mpc-hc with madvr and some tweaking but then an i3 might not handle the stress as madvr is all cpu decoding not gpu. now is the EDID, HDCP handshakes issues totally resolved. For some people they work great. Then you get into things like relock, autofrequency to auto framerate and match better. An htpc can be a nice solution and for many people that dont strive for the best PQ/matching frame rate it works well. For people that are looking for same playback as a hardware player it takes a lot of time and effort and a lot of manual tweaking to get the same performance.

There is two sides to each coin. Hardware players usually have excellent flawless playback but there UI is clunky and slow. Then you have an HTPC that has so much eye candy but playback suffers. Yet to be a device of both worlds

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Gotcha..So glad for me personally that after being a tweaker with my earlier htpc's I now have learned to just enjoy what I have. Picture to me looks as good as anything I have seen pretty much. Never had a complaint. So as you said when you factor in eye candy, yeah I'm willing to settle a little. Obviously not for everyone, but works for me. XBMC is awesome!

·
Registered
5 Posts

hi everyone, i sell media players in australia, i personal use a HTPC with xbmc, does everything i want with my home theatre. i have 2 media players here, the himedia 910B and the hdpro x-6. the himedia was good played everything i chucked at it with DTS-HD and TRUEHD all with 7.1 channels. but i had power problems with a few of them. the hdpro x-6 is bullet proof and never had a problem with any of them, same deal does DTS_HD and trueHD .

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman  /t/1519100/whats-the-best-media-player-now-2014#post_24429471

I use a SageTV HD300 Media Player for file playback of .mkv (and .iso) Blu-Ray Rips.

Lately I have found a lot of file incompatibility with the SageTV HD300 insofar as VLC will playback virtually all .mkv BD ripped files while the SageTV HD300 fails to playback 10-20% of the time.

My files are primarily .mkv Blu-Ray Rips.

I vastly prefer the HW Decoding of a media player such as the SageTV HD300 over a PC's SW Decoding with VLC or equivalent.

So, I am in the market for a new Media Player that would be an upgrade to the HD300 that would have universal file compatibility (all 5.1/7.1 DTS and Dolby HD and Master formats).

What is the best and most compatible trouble free Media Player available?

RealTek vs. Sigma Chip based Media Players?

Thanks in advance

I noticed the same thing. I was using the latest version of handbrake when the problem started. I went back to an earlier handbrake version and the problem went away.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite  /t/1519100/whats-the-best-media-player-now-2014#post_24454900

To many reasons to list. Terrible 23.976 fps support. In fact 99% of htpcs dont handle it. Only the newest intel nuc finally has a fix for 23.976. The PQ is not the same unless you run mpc-hc with madvr and some tweaking but then an i3 might not handle the stress as madvr is all cpu decoding not gpu. now is the EDID, HDCP handshakes issues totally resolved. For some people they work great. Then you get into things like relock, autofrequency to auto framerate and match better. An htpc can be a nice solution and for many people that dont strive for the best PQ/matching frame rate it works well. For people that are looking for same playback as a hardware player it takes a lot of time and effort and a lot of manual tweaking to get the same performance.

There is two sides to each coin. Hardware players usually have excellent flawless playback but there UI is clunky and slow. Then you have an HTPC that has so much eye candy but playback suffers. Yet to be a device of both worlds

I think you summed it up pretty well in your last sentence. I am a big fan of XBMC but also use my Oppo Blu Ray player to play back media files. XBMC makes the experience of selection etc. a joy while Oppo (and other hardware players) have relatively primitive menu list screens. What I have found is that most of my friends don't notice a difference unless directly compared playback between the two and at times, not at all. For me, I use the Oppo for disc and file playback and for guests, I fire up the Mac Mini with Ubuntu/XBMC so they can have some fun.

Perhaps the best option would be having one device control the other so that an XBMC front end would do calls to a hardware driven device (like Dune, Oppo, Med8tor) etc. I know that Dune has 3rd party front end tools that help it come close to a full on quality hardware player along with a snappy front end but I think more can be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I think the Mede8er MED1000X3D is the best media player for 2014, it has the best user interface, very cool looking, resembles Netflix style, large poster art, and its fast. They have a lot of features and they recently added apps for phones and tablets. I take my player to work a lot and use the pelican 1200 case to transport it. My 4TB drive is already full so I also have a external 4TB seagate plus drive plugged into it. When ever I have to transfer files to it I just take the drive out and put it in my PC, I get really fast speeds that way. Usually I just use my external drive for all my new files, I plan on buying the DS1513+ soon because I'm running out of storage space. 

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemuscle  /t/1519100/whats-the-best-media-player-now-2014#post_24649916

I think the Mede8er MED1000X3D is the best media player for 2014, it has the best user interface, very cool looking, resembles Netflix style, large poster art, and its fast. They have a lot of features and they recently added apps for phones and tablets. I take my player to work a lot and use the pelican 1200 case to transport it. My 4TB drive is already full so I also have a external 4TB seagate plus drive plugged into it. When ever I have to transfer files to it I just take the drive out and put it in my PC, I get really fast speeds that way. Usually I just use my external drive for all my new files, I plan on buying the DS1513+ soon because I'm running out of storage space. 

What are you comparing the user interface to?

·
Registered
6 Posts

I agree with bikemuscle, the mede8er med1000x3d is a GREAT media player. I have a 3tb HDD inside, and a portable 1tb, which i can transfer files to the player very quickly. My files consists of iso, mkv, mp4, flac, mp3, jpegs just to name a few. I have it connected through hdmi to my marantz sr7007 and out to my samsung pn60f5300. the player outputs dts-hd master audio as well as dolby trueHD. 5.1 - 6.1 and 7.1.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Android media players deserve some mention too. Now XBMC 13 can run with hardware acceleration in (quite a few of) them.

The bundled apps and standard interface are meh like with cheap smartphones, but you can easily download good players and interface from Play Store (or install manually XBMC). Plus most other useful apps.

This is an example http://ausdroid.net/2014/03/17/minix-neo-x7-android-media-hub-review/

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
I'd say the android multi core cpu players have a chance at being the best but for the most part they are vapor ware. On paper they look good. But until they get in the market hard to say.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts