Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi everyone,

i'm a new member to this forum and for those of you that navigate on the french forum www.homecinema-fr.com, you will know me as "mojo".

Well, I have a question that I have already asked on the french forum but I try to gather as many experts' opinions as possible on this subject.

Here is my dilemna: I cannot see the three mentionned projectors:

Sharp Z91E (DT200 in the US)

Sanyo Z1 (no change of name for this one, Yeah!)

Panny AE300 (known as l300u in the US)

and I wish to buy one of them through the net in the UK where I live (close to Newcastle) but don't know which one yet.

That's why I would need your advice!

I will be at a distance of 1.5 to 2 x the width of the screen and will only use S-video feed from LD and DVD player in Pal and NTSC. No progressive feed at all (question of lack of bucks :( ).

I will be certainly using the horizontal lens shift/ keystone correction to their maximum capability due to lack of space and not wanting to ceiling mount the beauty.

Well, here's my question to everyone:

Based on your personal experience, which projector among those three will give me the best overall picture in the conditions in which I will be using it.

To make it easier, let's say I am not prone to rainbows and I can afford any of them. What counts for me is the overall raw picture quality from DVD and more important from LD signals.

Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
DrJo,

I would definitely say you shouldn't buy a projector withouts seeing and hearing it in action unless you will be able to return it for a refund.

Whatever you hear from other people, you could have a completely different take on it yourself.

I bought a HS10 a few weeks ago, and I had heard people say you can't see screendoor unless you stand two feet from the screen. But I could see it from 12 feet (not that I found it annoying).

Others said the black level was a problem with the HS10, but I thought it was perfectly OK (even though it could be better).

The thing that did annoy me was the noise, although I didn't really notice that when I demoed it. Fortunately I was able to return it because of a fault.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Z1 has alot of versitility with lens shift and keystone at a price that would still allow you $ for a progressive scan DVD and then some. The DT200 is a nice projector and handles sd feeds well but is about 2x the price.

Haven't seen the panny but supposedly it would give less screen door, but no lens shift. Also if you soft focus the Z1 pq is the same. The panny uses filters to reduce the screendoor so the sharpest image isn't as sharp focus.

But I think the sharp has the best scaler and would be best without a progressive scan dvd player.

good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your replies.

I agree that it is better to see projectors in action before buying them but in my case that would mean go to London, rent a room, find a very good showroom and so on, which would add to the overall cost. Not much more though, but still. that's a bit too much from my point of view.

As for LCD, i was always able to see the fine structure of the screen on svga machine, dunno for higher resolutions and the HS10 fan seems to have been often criticised for its noise, so I'm warned.

I think that using a crystal to minimise screendoor (panny ae300) is not a good idea: imagine you have a dead pixel, it will be magnify by a factor 4 with this method, the same for all the artifacts.

That's why my real choice is between Z1 and Z91 (DT-200). And the Sharp picture quality seems to win in my case, but I'm still hesitating because of the price difference, which is not that big here in the UK: about $1700 for the Z1 and about $2500 for the Sharp. But the replacement lamp for the Z91 is about 1.5 to twice as expensive as for the Z1 and that's a factor to take into account.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.