AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My BLT has died on me
(won't accept remote commands) and now i'm in the market for a shiney new media streamer/hd dvd player.

What do you think the best player would be for my requirements.

MUST HAVES:

DVD player, progressive scan upscaling, 1080P would be nice, HDMI port.

Media streaming from PC and ext HDD, wireless and ethernet.

WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:

An internal HDD to buffer the wireless stream, to avoid funky FF and RW, freezes or failing that the unit to allow an external USB HDD to be connected and to write to this for bufferring streams.

I have shortlisted a couple of players, but can't find what *real* people really think of them, only 'professional' reviews.

The players are:

Helios x3000

Kiss dp-600

kiss dp-1600 (although i don't know what the diff is between the two kiss players)

AppleTV came close, but no cigar as it doesn't have a DVD drive let alone an upscaling one.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as i'm getting pretty severe withdrawal symptoms!

BTW, i'm in the UK.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would add the TVIX 4100SH to your list

IMO Apple TV misses by a mile, not even in the same ball park if you are looking for 1080i and or 1080p. If your looking for DRM and low bitrate 720p then Apple TV is for you!

From the iTunes website:

Video formats supported
H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels or 640 by 480 pixels

MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

·
Registered
361 Posts
no dvd tray on the 4100.

Why that requirement? takes 30 minutes to rip the iso, which the 4100 will play fine (as I understand)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, I was thinking about a TVIX, but no DVD drive.

(got loads and loads of DVD, and ripping to ISO would be a REAL pain.)

Could get a separate DVD player i s'pose...

Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There's also the Ziova CS505. It was well reviewed by mpcclub and gizmodo. I have one, and it does what it's advertised to do. Some bugs, of course, but there's a BIG new firmware update coming in the next few weeks that is supposed to fix a lot of things, not to mention provide an all-new UI. Definitely worth a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts