AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to buy a receiver and i will be mostly using a ipod or iphone. I want to be able to control the ipod/iphone though the reciever remote so i can leave the ipod/iphone on my shelf. Which reciever is the best for my application? Thanks. I want to stay around the $500 price range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by travon802 /forum/post/18158721

I've heard the Pioneer VSX919 or 1019 work pretty well.. don't need an extra dock and the cable is included. The iPod can be controlled via the Pioneer remote

That's what i was leaning towards.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also has anyone had bestbuy match a online price? I want the vsx-23txh and it's 899 at bestbuy. I can get it online for 550. Any chance they may match a price or even come close?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18158890

By getting the dock

You didn't have any luck on the HK?

Dude i bid on it and next thing i know the item isn't there anymore. There was no buy it now and it has 1 day left. Now when i search it's not there. I want an elite but if i buy it from ebay for 550 and it stops working after 21 days im **** out of luck. I wonder if those elite's ever go on sale at all at best buy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb /forum/post/18158905

Amazon has the 9040 on sale for $505. It is an Elite-21 clone, but without Elite faceplate, and 1 year less warranty. Even then, its a good price. You could have a look at that.

Where can i find the 9140? I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18159001

Where can i find the 9140? I can't find it anywhere.

It's the Pioneer 9040
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-90...6488519&sr=8-1

aj281, do you have a normal iPod, or do you have an iPhone/iPod Touch? I'm just trying to figure out a way for you to save money. If you have an iPhone/Touch, have you considered getting an Airport Express ($60-$100)? The APX would let you stream your entire music library and use your iPhone/Touch as a remote.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a ipod nano and an iphone. I would mostly be using the ipod though. Even if i got that airport express that's 100 on top of the price of a receiver. The 9040 is 500. Everything almost comes out to about the same price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can get a onkyo or denon but the dock is like 100 bucks so it comes out to like 350-500 depending on model. I want something with the most hdmi's for that price. Is there anything that a onkyo or denon has over the pionner such as quality or features?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18165384

I can get a onkyo or denon but the dock is like 100 bucks so it comes out to like 350-500 depending on model. I want something with the most hdmi's for that price. Is there anything that a onkyo or denon has over the pionner such as quality or features?

Not that I know of, at least currently. There was a deal some time ago for the Onkyo HT-RC160 , but I haven't seen any as of late.

The Pioneer 919/1019/9040 is probably the best option for you if you want the iPod connectivity. Well, of course, the HK's were nice too, but HK seems to be out of the 354 Refurbs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18165508

Not that I know of, at least currently. There was a deal some time ago for the Onkyo HT-RC160 , but I haven't seen any as of late.

The Pioneer 919/1019/9040 is probably the best option for you if you want the iPod connectivity. Well, of course, the HK's were nice too, but HK seems to be out of the 354 Refurbs.

I think i'm going to just get the 9040. I can get it from amazon for 500 and still get the warranty.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18165516

I think i'm going to just get the 9040. I can get it from amazon for 500 and still get the warranty.

I ordered one from there on Wed. and installed it last night (yay Amazon Prime) and it sounds, looks and works fantastic!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex187 /forum/post/18166204

I ordered one from there on Wed. and installed it last night (yay Amazon Prime) and it sounds, looks and works fantastic!

Wow. Finally someone around here said something positive lol. That's makes me want to buy it right now. I have to wait a few weeks as i'm out of town.

·
Registered
29,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18167993

Wow. Finally someone around here said something positive lol. That's makes me want to buy it right now. I have to wait a few weeks as i'm out of town.

No guarantee the price will be the same in two weeks...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well, the Amazon sale on the Pioneer 9040 is only valid till February 23rd. Don't know what the price of the 9040 will be after that.

This info, can be seen if you open up the 1019 product page on Amazon. It shows that the offer on the 9040 is good through Feb 23rd. You might not get the discounted price if you buy after a few weeks.

If you're lucky, you might get it even cheaper after that. Don't know how Amazon works.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18167993

You should be fine, I think. There's not really a sale going on, that price is just what they're selling it for, off of the MSRP.

I never said the Pioneers were bad receivers, just that there were better things for the money for non-iPod specific features! But you should never take only one person's advice (myself included). Forum member cschang has a nice signature: "Somewhere between what someone posts and what I think, is the truth. "

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
A couple of things..
1. iPhone

Are you using this in the Airport mode? If yes, then with all of the mentioned brand AVRs using teh iPhone as an iPod only swill be fine. If you are expecting about leaving the iPhone ON so you can receive calls the only brand AVRs certified compatible for the GSM interference are the HK 2600 and 3600.
2. iPod Video

If HD video is important, the HK 2600/3600 can connect with the iPod's 720P component video output. Most brands can't do this, they may display the 480i but thats it..

Just my $0.01..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.