AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the transponder signal strength is a bit weak, and we have some drop out. Is there some brand name that are better than others? I don't need a splitter, just a Line in from cable, line out to receiver amplifier will do.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
In-line amps are seldom needed unless you are running an inordinately long cable to the dish. More likely than not, you have a dish aiming problem, an obstructed LOS, or some fault in the system.

Otherwise, it's not necessary to buy the "best amplifier that money can buy" since you don't need NASA-grade equipment. A $10 bullet amp will be adequate if amplification is truly needed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you have more than one receiver and the same problem exists on all of the receivers, you probably have a reception problem. If the problem is only on one receiver and it has the longest cable run, an amplifier may help. I have that problem in one room and successfully use a Radio Shack in-line, nonpowered amp, to fix it. I've also found that switching the line in with the power inserter, if connected to a switch, may help.

That being said, there could be other sources of the problem, such as a bad wire somewhere in the system, i.e., to the specific receiver or from a particular LNB. It could also be a problem with the transponder or spot beam from the satellite.

These kinds of problems are a PITA to diagnose. I would first check the signal strength on the problem channels on the different receivers, as well as attempt to figure out if other channels being broadcast from the same satellite have the same problem.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
How long are the cable runs?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts