AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best scaler to mate w/ the JVC 150? I will be maining watching DVD movies (80%) and DTV/HDTV (20%). I will be using a Stewart Grayhawk Luxus Deluxe ScreenWall 54" x 100" 1.85:1 screen. I would like to stay below $6500 in price. Thanks in advance for any info. :)

Mike

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Mike,

With that budget, you DEFINITELY want to go the SDI route for optimum quality.

The products that offer SDI input and processing in that price range are the TAW Rock+, Key Digital LEEZA, Vigatec Dune, an Extron Unit (forget the model #) and a unit lower in price (not sure of quality yet since it's just released) from Focus Enhancements called the CS-1 or 2.

The key is to read all you can here and in the digital projectors forum, then go out and test drive as many of these units as you can and decide what meets your needs best in that price range. You are in a great area I think because there should be a dealer for just about every one of those products within a couple hours drive of you.

Good Luck:)!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I agree with Dave - you probably will want to go the SDI route... However, why not go fully digital and wait for the new Vigatec with DVI output. That way you will have a completely digital path from DVD to the D-ILA...

Peter

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
IS KD coming out with a newer revamped LEEZA?

Does the LEEZA do DVI out?

JEff

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I hear there will be an upgrade for old Leeza owners (how old are we?) so that should be nice.

If I remember right, the dvi from the Leeza will not do 1365x1024. I think its limited to 1240 or something like that. There is a thread going around that talks about this.

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
What is the big LEEZA re-do?

Jeff

·
Banned
959 Posts
Because of the KD/TAW breakup, i believe they cannot use each others technologies anymore. I believe the rock and the leeza will be no more. I think Taw and KD will be unvailing completely new scalers at cedia this fall. Both have stated that their current scalers will be upgradeable to the new ones. This should be very interesting and beneficial for the consumer. what i haven't seen is whether the rock and the leeza are still being manufactured or if they are just selling off what the have left. if this is the case, in the past taw has offered a great upgrade path value. in my case, i have about 4,300 in a processor that now costs $5,500(?).

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The upgrade path for the Leeza owners will be a completely new machine. From what I have been told the Leeza is not hardware upgradeable. I think the new KD scaler will also upscale HD, but dont hold me to it.

·
Banned
959 Posts
so your saying it's more of a trade up, like the lexicon. you send in your old machine and some money and they give you a new machine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mike (OpusX),

I am beginning to think that the Faroudja NRS Digital Cinema Source might just be the ticket for the G150. The G150 internal scaler does an excellent job of DVD film material over the component inputs, but could use some help on video material (either DVD video or otherwise) on the component, vga, and s-video inputs. Hard to beat DCDi from what several of the "best eyes" in HT are saying (albeit the best eyes of course are your own) and the DVI output should be a nice treat on the G150. Faroudja customer support seems to get mixed reviews plus one has to believe that several of the upcoming new video processors will be seriously aiming at surpassing or significantly closing the gap on DCDi. So the jury is still out, but the NRS DCS is high on my consideration list.

Now whether the NRS DCS can be had for $6500 or less is another question. I would guess that initial discounts would not be that aggressive, but you never know (witness the early deep discounts on the G150). Can anybody say NRS DCS powerbuy?

Good Luck,

Mark

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
As of right not, its not a tradeup, just a really good price for the new scaler, but from my conversation with KD, a tradeup wouldnt be an imposssiblity

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
For the first few months, don't use a scaler. I have a G10 with a Faroudja DILA NR. While the Faroudja does improve the picture, you won't really miss it during the initial stage. Once you get familiar and comfortable with your new projector's pictire, you can test various options because you will then be in a better position to evaluate and decide - unless you are already a video expert of course!

Often, we try to get the "best" etc. This hobby tends to do that to us. Once we get it and within six months there is a new SDI or a DVI or a new model etc.. we wonder if we are behind times already. This is normal of course.

·
Registered
462 Posts
audvid,

Yours is the best advice. There simply is not enough known about the JVC150. I'm also considering a 150, but hesitate purchasing a scaler at this juncture. So if I buy, I'll play with the 150 for several months and then start looking at scalers.

TonyC

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
DVI enabled Faroudja with integrated DVD.

Jeff

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the information and all of your opinions....I should have the JVC 150 within 10 days. I think I'll see what it looks like and play around with it first to get familiar with it. After....I will then have to make a decision of which processor to get.

On a separate note.

I ran only 2 video cables from my equipment room to the location of where the PJ will be mounted. I ran one RGBHV (BNC on both ends) and one VGA (HD15M on both ends) cables. They are the SilverSepent cables from BetterCables.com and they are 50' in length. Should I run any other additional cables to the PJ??????

Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You will likely want a DVI run at some point in time. Warning that a 50 ft. run of DVI will be fairly expensive, so one option would be to just run a pull string (or two - you never know) for now and only make the DVI connection and investment when you are absolutely sure that you will use it.

Have Fun,

Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.