1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some help in the best solution for the components I have:

Samsung 50 inch DLP - 1 HDMI input

I would like to connect:

PS3 - HDMI to HDMI (audio and video in single cable)

Oppo DVD - DVI to HDMI (video thro DVI, audio thro Optical)

STB - DVI to HDMI (video thro DVI, audio thro Optical)

PC - DVI to HDMI (video thro DVI, audio thro Optical or no audio)

I looked around online, and have come up with 2 options: either get the Sony STR-DG800 which has 2 HDMI passthro connections OR get a 5x1 HDMI Switch

The PS3 is audio and video out to the tv, so that poses no problem.

The other 3 devices is a problem, as they are all DVI (video out), and will compete for the solitary audio IN connection in the TV.

The Switch would work perfectly for any 2 connections, but i have no idea how i could transfer audio to the tv without manually having to swap audio cables

The Receiver would again pose no problems for 2 connections, however i would have to route an extra optical out from the tv back to the receiver as it is a HDMI passthro

What are my other options?? Any suggestions, products out there i might have missed???? I want to try to avoid using component cables as far as possible.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a pretty good solution! - The problem is that when i looked at the back of my TV, there is optical out, but no optical in!! SO --- i will have to use the RCA cables to route sound from the DVD and the STB.

So i guess my choices are:

This box : 300 bucks

Regular switch (5x to 1 HDMI) : 100 bucks

Sony Receiver (7.1 with 2 HDMI passthro) : 300 dollars (in this option the STB can route thro component cables

With the receiver, i can get component upconversion of my Tivo and VCR (S video Connections) which i cannot get with the other choices, plus FM, XM and 7.1 surround

I guess if i choose the SONY, my PC will have to be "manually switched" as needed!!

Anyone has had any bad experiences with the STR-DG800?? Or is it a good buy?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
"With the receiver, i can get component upconversion of my Tivo and VCR (S video Connections) which i cannot get with the other choices"

Your TV upscaled these sources to it's native resolution for display already, you may or may not get better results using the scaler in the AV receiver instead.

"Anyone has had any bad experiences with the STR-DG800?? Or is it a good buy?"

Check the Audio forum lower down on the list for info on AV receivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.