AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Denon 2309 and it should be arriving within the next week. I just want to know what's the best, inexpensive, speaker wire to get to compliment my new receiver. I'm a complete newb to this stuff so I don't really know what to look for in speaker wire. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would like to say one thing. When it comes to running surround speakers, I simply don't care to use high gauge wire. It's more expensive, and bulkier to work with. Given the sort of content usually present at the surrounds, I also don't think it's worth spending much money on the cables.

That's just one man's opinion. Other people might have a different opinion.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15550529

I would like to say one thing. When it comes to running surround speakers, I simply don't care to use high gauge wire. It's more expensive, and bulkier to work with. Given the sort of content usually present at the surrounds, I also don't think it's worth spending much money on the cables.

That's just one man's opinion. Other people might have a different opinion.

Did you mean low gauge?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as far as gauge....is it the higher the number, the better the wire? Or the other way around? I saw the chart and the distances and it looks like 16 gauge and lower will definitely work for me. My rear speakers are about 20 feet from the receiver while my front ones are only about 6 feet. I just don't know what to do. Audio/Visual is not my strong point. I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best wire for my setup. I want my new receiver to make my speakers sound like never before.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeedF0RaName /forum/post/15551759

So as far as gauge....is it the higher the number, the better the wire? Or the other way around?

Lower gauge = thicker wire. 16 gauge should be fine for the vast majority of home theater setups.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yes I meant low guage, sorry.

I read where the reason for this was that gauge was an indicator on the number of times the wire had to be drawn through the dies when being made. At some point they standardized gauge. It's an odd formula.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
The best speaker wire is stranded not solid, and you should use the lowest gauge wire that is still flexible but can be used with your speaker posts and AVR speaker posts. 12 GA speaker wire is readily available from HomeDepot. You'll find also that they sell 18, 16, and 14 GA speaker wire also and its cheap. No need to buy from monoprice at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know if this is an issue for you, but there is different wire for in-wall applications. I have recently restrung 100's of feet of wire to correct this.

I have heard stories where houses can't bo sold with the wrong wire in the wall and that insurance claims have not been paid after a house fire.

Jim

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Heavy gauge copper wire without Vodoo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeedF0RaName /forum/post/15550250

I just purchased the Denon 2309 and it should be arriving within the next week. I just want to know what's the best, inexpensive, speaker wire to get to compliment my new receiver. I'm a complete newb to this stuff so I don't really know what to look for in speaker wire. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerboy /forum/post/15554395

I don't know if this is an issue for you, but there is different wire for in-wall applications. I have recently restrung 100's of feet of wire to correct this.

I have heard stories where houses can't bo sold with the wrong wire in the wall and that insurance claims have not been paid after a house fire.

Jim

CL rated wire is supposed to not emit toxic fumes when it does burn in a house fire. Seems odd though, the wire to your speakers outside the wall and every cord for every electrical appliance is not subject to the same standards.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It has to do with the wire "breathing" to stay cool. If a wire doesn't have enough space to breath (i.e. in the wall), then it has to be rated.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/15553963

The best speaker wire is stranded not solid, and you should use the lowest gauge wire that is still flexible but can be used with your speaker posts and AVR speaker posts. 12 GA speaker wire is readily available from HomeDepot. You'll find also that they sell 18, 16, and 14 GA speaker wire also and its cheap. No need to buy from monoprice at all.

Home Depot may be cheaper than most B&M stores like BB, but they aren't cheap compared to monoprice. The same speaker wire you linked to at Home Depot is $15 cheaper at monoprice, including shipping. That's a pretty significant difference, IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts