AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...I'm thinking about picking up a HDTV in the 2-3K price range exclusively for movies and video games (xbox and gamecube). Do you guys have any suggestions? I post on a video game board called ign.com, and a number of people seem to favor the Sony XBR Wega Flat Screen HDTV Monitors...are these any good? How about the Philips 30" Digital Widescreen HDTV Monitor? Are there any products looming on the horizon that would be great for me? K, i'll shut up now and listen. Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the RCA 38" widescreen is quite a good deal. It is commonly available (Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, Sears, etc) for $2499 and even lower online. Picture quality is very good, but not perfect (black levels are frustrating). Built in ATSC and DirecTV tuners make it even a better deal. The biggest potential problems: no video outputs for recording, and only one set of HD inputs. Be sure that the model number on the set is no lower than F38310JX4, as sets manufactured in 2000 had quality problems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw one of these at Circuit City when i went in to buy my optical cable for xbox. It has a beautiful picture. I'm sure i won't be recording, but what kind of limitations does only one set of HD inputs place on me? I don't know very much about HDTV's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had the RCA for 6 weeks, the single component video input is an issue. It's not a problem if you use the game console (I have PS2) as your DVD player, which I'm doing now, but if you want to add a better (progressive scan) player or a DVD changer you have to use the S-VHS inputs for the game.

Also, the RCA will not let you switch between wide screen and standard formats while using the component video input, so at first I couldn't play games that had wide screen outputs. The solution (A trick I picked up here) is to cover the remote control while switching the remote funtion to 'TV', then you can toggle between screen formats. Thanks to whoever posted this trick, GT3 is great in wide screen.

All that said, the Sony XBR2 blows this set away, but it's 4K so tough luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bardwell
I've had the RCA for 6 weeks, the single component video input is an issue. It's not a problem if you use the game console (I have PS2) as your DVD player, which I'm doing now, but if you want to add a better (progressive scan) player or a DVD changer you have to use the S-VHS inputs for the game.
Some people use component video switches to hook up more that one HD source. Most switches "designed" for this purpose are very expensive, but many people report using simple Radio Shack switches designed for composite video and stereo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Ratshack composite video/stereo switcher has been reported as NOT good for component video switching. I've not used it myself. However I've seen two people here report trying it and having PQ problems. There are other one's that cost a little more. Sorry, don't know the details on that. If you search back on this forum you will find references to it.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I own a RCA F38310JX4 the way I got around having only 1 High band componet video input was to buy a #3504 Inline Inc. computer switcher for $575 and $60 for 15 gold plated bnc to 'phono' jacks. Instead of only being able to plug only one device I have 4. 2 Sony DVD changers, one soon to be connected to a computer, and 1 for future use.

I love my RCA F38310 and I have a self converted switcher not one of those ratshack devices that were made for composite or S-Video. Component video needs 3 of the 75 Ohm cables which the ratshack device doesn't have. The red and white cables were 'never' meant for 'video' only audio period. http://www.inlineinc.com

If interested they have up to a 6 computer switcher that can be coverted to a component switcher also. I may be disabled but I came up with a device that is working every day with my 2 DVD changers hooked into the HDTVs 1 Y-Pr-Pb Component input. I can turn either one on to watch what ever movie or concert that I own to view.:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. The Toshiba's specs look nice, but i'm partial to the HDTV monitors. I just like the quality of their picture more. Also, i'm going to be playing games on this TV a lot, and i've heard bad things about projection screens and burn in. I'm open to both widescreen and standard 4:3 HDTV monitors. I'd rather have widescreen for movies, but a lot of games only support 4:3. So i don't have a preference really.

That sounds like a great idea hob. Hmmm that brings the total up to around $3600...maybe i should look at the Sony XBR2. What's so great about it? Time to do a web search.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you're thinking of spending this kind of money and have in mind heavy video game use, you might consider a projector (digital or CRT). Both types will give you a very large image if you want it (how does need for speed at 8' across grab you?), although the CRT unit will have the same type of burn-in issues that RP HDTVs do. That said, I enjoy large screen video games immensely on my CRT FPTV, and burn-in isn't a problem if you keep the contrast relatively low and don't leave a static image up continuously.

2-3k won't get you top of the line in either category (digital or CRT), but it will get you a very nice unit, and you can build a decent screen for $20 out of pine 1"X2"s and drapery blackout material.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dkeller, hmmmm maybe i'll look into projectors, but they are the most foreign to me, and i'm not sure what setting one of these up entails. Maybe you can direct me toward a good website?

I went to circuit city tonight, and looked at HDTV monitors, and i've narrowed down my choices to two...Panasonic's Tau 36'' PureFlat HDTV Monitor and the Sony's 34" XBR2! There's obviously a big price difference between the two. The Sony one costs twice as much, and i my budget may not be able to handle that kind of hit. Obviously the Sony would be better for movies because it's widescreen, but which one is better for the future of games? Not many games support widescreen at this point. I know you can stretch the screen to fill, but that's just not the same. Does anyone know if developers are going to start making games that are 16:9?

BTW, i saw a 53" Toshiba RP HDTV that was really nice, but the 65" one was nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is directed to the original poster.

I'd avoid the Philips sets. I found that, while the picture quality is good, there are serious deficiencies in this unit. Search the

Forum here for "Philips" and see my review of my 30" set after 5 months of use.

Basically, vertical instability when an STB, VCR, DVD and cable box are attached ( HDTV is stable, but not the other inputs -- they roll intermittently ). Factory service was *unable* to fix this.

Menus are really, really slow. When the set comes on, audio is off, until you select a different input. When HDTV source is attached, and you step through the inputs, the display 'snaps' to 'widescreen' mode and the display format selector then does not have any effect. You have to cycle to an unused input, then select another format, then select your alternate input. Ugly, messy, stupid.

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE! $ 2500 is WAY too much to pay for a set with this many problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.