AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave an Acer Iconia A500 to my wife, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to enable her to watch movies on it. Anyone have a suggestion for the best video playback app, and for what video format I should use for video to be played on a 10.1 inch Honeycomb device?

BTW, in playing with it some, so far that seems like a pretty nice tablet.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Yes. My suggestion is to RTFM. I'm quite sure Acer knows what formats and resolutions they designed the tablet to handle.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Just use the native app. Encoding to iPod or Apple TV-compatible MP4 with H.264 video and LC-AAC audio would probably ensure hardware decode acceleration (necessary if you want to prolong battery life).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use MakeMKV to rip my DVDs. I put them on a micro sd card and play them on my Acer Iconia A500 with MoboPlayer.

T

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
I use handbrake to encode videos for my Transformer. I use Advanced Profile, 2 ch stereo audio (faac) and adjust the resolution to 1280x??.

For players, I prefer moboplayer and/or MXplayer to rockplayer.

-Suntan

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I use the iPad present in Handbrake. The only additional thing I have to do for some is boost the audio slightly. Since I have a Transformer and iPads/iPhones in my house this works best for compatibility

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Speaking of which, is there a video player that will actually show covers (like the default iPxx player) instead of thumbnails? The cover view makes it a lot more user friendly for my boys

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I guess I'm answering my own question, but for anyone interested, I found a free video converter program called Aura Video Converter on CNET, installed it, and converted a couple of my 1920x1080 .m2ts files to 1280x720 .mp4 files and they play fine right off the usb thumbdrive and look good using the standard Nemo video app on the Iconia Tab. It will handle lots of other formats too.

Problem solved. Thanks for the answers though; they got me started in the right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts